GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default Would you guys change black vinyl floor for carpeting in a 2002 4*4 2500?

    Would you guys change the black vinyl flooring in my suburban for carpeting? I think the vinyl is sort of cool, but not sure if carpeting would be best.?

    If I keep the vinyl any suggestions on how to clean it well?

    Stephen

    ps. Proud "new" owner of a NJ State Police Suburban 2500

  2. #2
    Legend trapstud's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,707
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I would just leave it. Most likely you bought the truck because you wanted to haul and/or tow things. Kids, boats, ATV's, Hunting gear all get wet and make a mess. Just wait till you have to scub a school lunch out of your new carpet since your son couldn't wait till you pulled the block so he could puke at home. A hose would've been a lot quicker.

    2002 Suburban 4x4 LS 9 Passenger
    1991 Ford F-150

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trapstud View Post
    I would just leave it. Most likely you bought the truck because you wanted to haul and/or tow things. Kids, boats, ATV's, Hunting gear all get wet and make a mess. Just wait till you have to scub a school lunch out of your new carpet since your son couldn't wait till you pulled the block so he could puke at home. A hose would've been a lot quicker.
    +1
    My Silverado 1500 had the rubber floor coverings, I loved it for hunting and such, didn't matter if you had dirty, muddy shoes it was way easy to keep clean, sometimes I wish my Suburban had rubber instead of carpet.
    Terry

  4. #4

    Default

    The vinyl floor is good in that it won't stain with salt or plugged up with dirt - big chunks of dirt are easier to get out.

    That being said, my last truck had vinyl floors and they drove me crazy. The honeycomb pattern on it held dirt in the grooves and the only way to clean it was to scrub it. If you want to clean it, a fingernail scrub brush works nicely to get into those pattern lines in the vinyl. Once you've done that, some vinyl & rubber protectant on there will make it look really nice, but its hard to keep it that way.

    The carpet looks nice and is nicer to keep looking clean if salt and mud aren't an issue though. You just have to decide what level of trade off of convenience vs. appearance works best for you.

    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck


  5. #5

    Default I 'll take 02 2500 truck to a detail shop as it is.. and see how the floor cleans up

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MyTruck.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	31820What do you guys pay to have a Suburban detailed.

    One of the first things I need to do is get the remnants of the state police stickers off of her, and figure a smart detailer is a good option.

    They said the price to detail the truck would be $250, how does that sound I was thinking $200 more realistic?

    Stephen

    Quote Originally Posted by pmf608 View Post
    The vinyl floor is good in that it won't stain with salt or plugged up with dirt - big chunks of dirt are easier to get out.

    That being said, my last truck had vinyl floors and they drove me crazy. The honeycomb pattern on it held dirt in the grooves and the only way to clean it was to scrub it. If you want to clean it, a fingernail scrub brush works nicely to get into those pattern lines in the vinyl. Once you've done that, some vinyl & rubber protectant on there will make it look really nice, but its hard to keep it that way.

    The carpet looks nice and is nicer to keep looking clean if salt and mud aren't an issue though. You just have to decide what level of trade off of convenience vs. appearance works best for you.
    g

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stephenwsmith View Post
    Would you guys change the black vinyl flooring in my suburban for carpeting?
    Never. My 'limo' from the airport last week had vinyl flooring. I had not seen that before and LOVED it.

    Quote Originally Posted by stephenwsmith View Post
    I need to do is get the remnants of the state police stickers off of her...
    There are several good adhesive removers out that will not damage the paint. Any hardware store should have some.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stephenwsmith View Post
    What do you guys pay to have a Suburban detailed.
    I do it myself....
    Joseph


    Airforce Veteran (7 years)


    NRA Life Member

  8. #8

    Default

    I have vinyl floors in my '04 ext. cab and I love 'em. Like everyone else said, much easier to keep clean and stands up better to dirt, salt, mud and other crap.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light


Similar Threads

  1. Vinyl floor scrub
    By pmf608 in forum Chevy Truck Accessories
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-15-2012, 12:04 AM
  2. I have a k2500 Suburban 2002. It has beat up vinyl seats front and middle
    By stephenwsmith in forum Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-26-2011, 05:45 PM
  3. Fleet vinyl floor or carpet - is there a big noise difference?
    By vanwrangler in forum Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-25-2010, 08:16 AM
  4. Work Truck=slippery vinyl floor
    By glmccready in forum Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-29-2009, 09:43 PM
  5. chevy bowtie logo - Vinyl, Black, Flags, etc.
    By blacksilverado07 in forum Chevy Truck Accessories
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-09-2008, 01:53 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •