GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Brake drum removal problem

Hi,

This is my first time working on drum brakes. My 1985 C20 Suburban has rear drum brakes. Per the manual, I jack up the rear wheel, remove the tire and *should* be able to pull the brake drum off. The brake drum is extremely rusty and won't budge. I've shot break-free fluid on the bolts and center and tried to pry the brake drum free. No good.

Looking it over carefully I see a single nut and bolt on the rear side. Manual doesn't mention removing this and right this second I don't have a wrench big enough. Am I supposed to remove this nut off the bolt on the rear?

if not, what are my options for getting this brake drum off?

Appreciate the help, I'm leaving the suburban jacked up in hopes some advice will rescue me :}

Thanks
    Chuk

Make sure you dont have the parking brake on.
    Try adjusting the brake adjustment through the back of the dust shield.
    Their may be a wear on the drum causing the shoes to be holding the drum on, adjusting the parking brake will sometimes move the shoes far enough out of the way to pull the drum off.
    If all else fails start hitting the inside lip of the drum with a BFH.

Their may be a wear on the drum causing the shoes to be holding the drum on,
    I would suspect this is the most common reason for a drum being hard to remove. The shoes wear on the drum, leaving a lip on the inside edge of the drum that can't clear the shoes. As noted, you'll need to go through the access hole in the backing plate with a couple of screwdrivers (one to push the adjuster pawl out of the way and one to rotate the star wheel) to retract the shoes.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Hey guys,

The parking brake is off.

Can you explain at a simple level what you mean by

access hole in the backing plate with a couple of screwdrivers (one to push the adjuster pawl out of the way and one to rotate the star wheel) to retract the shoes

There is an access hole somewhere? If so, where is it?

Thanks
    Chuk

Blog Entries

Back off brakes & slap drum with BFH & show no mercy . Hit drum like you want to kill it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagesCABXPWFM.jpg 
Views:	637 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	31798Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagesCAEUHHFB.jpg 
Views:	648 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	31799Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagesCAKQ5F9L.jpg 
Views:	653 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	31800
    Quote Originally Posted by chukzelda View Post
    Hey guys,

The parking brake is off. / Been years since I have worked on cars,pawl I think is a locking lever to lock the star wheel(gear)in place, try one of the GM tech guys

Can you explain at a simple level what you mean by

access hole in the backing plate with a couple of screwdrivers (one to push the adjuster pawl out of the way and one to rotate the star wheel) to retract the shoes

There is an access hole somewhere? If so, where is it?

Thanks
    Chuk

2012 Silverado

Adjuster slot is the horizontal slot at the bottom....

Joseph

Airforce Veteran (7 years)

NRA Life Member

Legend
    Blog Entries

I can post a picture of a BFH ..... J.K. Simplest terms, the brake drum is not held on by anything other than the same thing that holds to tire on; the lug nuts. The brakes auto adjust as the linings wear so they may be worn to the point you have to back off the adjuster manually using the slot on the back side of the backing plate as shown above.

UNLESS YOU HAVE WHEEL CHOCKS AND JACKSTANDS AND THE JACK UNDER THERE TOO FOR ADDITIONAL SUPPORT PUT THE TIRE BACK ON BEFORE YOU STICK YOUR HEAD UNDER THE TRUCK.

I am stupid enough to drop my truck's a$$ end on the ground twice but never have I been stupid enough to stick my head under it when there was even the slightest chance it could fall.
    86 911 Porsche Carrera
    98 K1500 Suburban LT
    2012 Nissan Leaf

​General Motors.
    Because life is too short to drive a Ford

You know... I just realized that you didn't say and no one asked which axle you have... With it being a C20 you could have the same axle I have, which is a 14 bolt full floating axle.... If that's the case you have to pull the axle shafts and remove the bearing nuts/bearings to pull the drums off since there pressed on behind the hub....

I am wondering if the drum is rust welded to the axle, if you look at the drum you will see that the rear axle kind of sticks through the brake drum, if it is rust welded you can try a couple of things, first take a hammer, a big hammer, and a big pry bar, something that you can put behind the drum, between the inside rim of the drum, and the backing plate and pry out, as you pry out with the bar hit the axle shaft in the middle, do NOT hit the lug bolts!!!, sometimes this will free the drum from the axle, if this does not work you may need to take a torch and heat the drum wear it meets the axle, the heat will cause the drum to expand away from the axle, now hit it with the big hammer and see if it will pop away from the axle, after you free the drum from the axle you may have to adjust the breaks away to pull the drum off.
    I hope this helps.
    Terry
    Last edited by TMair; 11-07-2011 at 09:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by