GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Differential Gear Swap Pattern Check

Just curious to see if anyone knows if this is an acceptable pattern.

Let me know.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Looks like the pinion isn't quite deep enough. What's your backlash spec? .015" sounds like a lot.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

This is my base set up. I'm going from here, i will try to reduce the shim on the main bearing. Once i get pinion depth i'll go after backlash, i do not know what the spec is suppose to be on the gears, i cannot find it anywhere in the book they supplied. My gears are USA Gear, in a green box.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat

I was thinking .007/.009 and I agree on the pinion depth.

You need MORE shim under the inner pinion bearing. That will push it towards the center of the ring gear.

Here's what i got now, 0.007 backlash.

And the pattern seems more rounded and centered. I can say I'm happy with this pattern. Does seem like the pinions too far out on the drive side though.... Coast side is perfect.

www.youtube.com/ippielb

I got ambitious and changed the pinion depth...

Let me know what you think, tomorrow i'm sealing it all up.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb

Legend
    Blog Entries

Very interesting post here, I learned something new today! My dad is very old school as he used to take a piece of newspaper and roll it through the gears, he would make his adjustments based on how the paper came out....

Looks good to me. Just curious, did you use a setup bearing for the inner pinion?

I re-did it again and got basically the same pattern with 0.005"-0.006" backlash, so i'm going to stick with that.

I took a brand new bearing and bored out the inside so that it could slip on and off. The bearings from my rebuild kit from stock differ in size and angle. So i couldnt use the stock bearing for set up. Had to buy a whole new bearing. Well worth the $30.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb