GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 Last Post byLast Post by

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    Definitely, please get a picture and details of that. I've actually had a new and improved circuit for powering my porch lights in my head that involves a SPDT switch and a trigger off my reverse lights to automatically turn the lights on when I go into reverse. With my circuit I'll also be able to turn them on on-demand or force them to stay off.
    That sounds even better.
    2005 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0 BBK headers,Cold air intake, Flowmaster cat-back, Diablo Trinity tuner, 22" KMC Rockstar Cooper ATZ, Kenwood DNX-9980HD indash, 2 Kenwood XR-W10F under back seat, Kicker 11DX10001, Kenwood KAC-7205, Polk Audio DXi6500 6.5"Component Speaker System front and back, Smoked out lights, 12K Hid's HI/Lo. Code Alarm W/remote start.

Jr. Apprentice

So, I would like to run them from my light bar, facing back(obviously). So that I can see when I'm headed out to the deer stand. Any other ideas on placement?
    Shane Byrne
    SGT, US Army (Ret.)
    Head Coach, Missouri S&T Rugby
    1995 GMC K1500

Underneath the bumper is always a nice spot that's where mine are. They are wired to a switch right now. Eventually getting them to turn on with my reverse lights since mine are useless
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Jr. Apprentice

Under the bumper freaks me out due to the risk of shaving them off while off-road. But without putting them on the bed rails or obstructing my cargo area it seems like the only logical spot. What do you know about running a secondary battery for toys like a winch, lights, cooler and a power inverter?

Did you have any updated pics of this that are not on photobucket?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

I'll work on getting some up direct-hosted. I'll also draw up my improved circuit and get it posted.

The reasoning for me putting them under my bumper is lack to put them anywhere else. I have a suburban, and I don't yet have a roof rack I can hang them off of. Besides, reverse lights are typically mounted low, and that's the primary function these serve for me: auxiliary reverse lights.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Apologies for not getting pics up yet, but since most the whole setup has changed since I did this write-up, I'll get some new pics and post them. Still have to draw out the reverse-light trigger setup too.

I completely forgot to take pictures of my latest setup today, but I just drew up the wiring diagram that will allow the lights to either get automatically turned on when in reverse, forced off, or forced on. I omitted fuses in the diagram, but any feed from a battery source should be fused. Here's the diagram:

The single-pole, dual-throw switch (SPDT) is key to this setup. I use it in reverse of the typical usage by using the common to feed the positive side of the coil and the 2 switched legs as my source. If you want to set it up as ground-switched, swap the battery-fed leg of the SPDT switch to the ground and put the other side of the relay coil (85) to positive battery and the reverse switch input to a ground-switched reverse switch.

I took a couple pics of my new setup. The switch and relay are still not hooked up right or mounted where I want it, but I haven't gotten around to fixing it right. I swapped the lights out for a smaller pair of driving lights I got from Walmart for somewhere between $20-30. They work much better and are smaller to make it easier to hit or knock them so they don't get misaimed. They're about as tall as the trailer hitch, so if they get knocked, I'm dragging the hitch.

Here they are:

Switch just hanging off the center console:

Relay under the hood; I still haven't put in a fuse holder yet, so the main feed is not connected right now:

I hope to upgrade my wiring with some nice fuse and relay blocks in the future, so it'll look better then. I'll also be putting the switch where the factory radio goes.

I've been thinking about cutting out holes in the rear bumper of my new truck for a set of reverse lights, it's already real low and after launching my boat a few times I noticed the bottom edge goes in the water at times, and I'd rather not dunk the lights while launching.
    My old truck had a light bar/high lift jack rack behind the tool box facing the back so the lights were high enough to give a good pattern.