GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Sylvania Silverstar Bulbs

I would like to know your experience with the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs. I was comparing the packages of the Silverstars and the standard Sylvania bulbs, and they both have the same wattage. If you look on the package you can see this. So, how can the Silverstars be brighter? I do not see any difference`s between the bulbs either.

As a Electrician, my logic tells me that bulbs of the same type and wattage put out the same lumens. (brightness) Only when the wattage of the bulb increases can you get a brighter bulb. The color spectrum does not change the lumens either. It just may appear brighter.

I passed on the Silverstars and bought the standard Sylvania`s.

Henry
    2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500; 4x4; Ext. Cab; 5.3L FI

Sr. Apprentice

I installed low beams,love'm.
    2008,2500 silverado,k-n filter,flowmaster 7o series muff. linex bedliner.

Buy a set of Xentec HID's for less than the silverstars and have waaaay better performance.

2009 Silverado LTZ Z71 4x4
    ReadyLift 2.25" leveling kit
    285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grapps
    5%tint all around
    Plasmaglow Fire & Ice LED Bar
    6000k HID's Low and Fogs
    Black badges

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

There are a new Ultra bulb from them I think they are called the ZXE's I have them in mine now very nice..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by Schaub View Post
    Buy a set of Xentec HID's for less than the silverstars and have waaaay better performance.
    I agree with the HID upgrade. I had Silverstar Ultras burn out shortly after the 1 year warranty expired. Did it on my explorer twice. I bought them for my Silverado but within the next 2 months I upgraded to HID's and haven't looked back since.

Quote Originally Posted by 2k8z71 View Post
    I agree with the HID upgrade. I had Silverstar Ultras burn out shortly after the 1 year warranty expired. Did it on my explorer twice. I bought them for my Silverado but within the next 2 months I upgraded to HID's and haven't looked back since.
    'Upgraded' to HIDs? If you produce more glare to oncoming drivers with HIDs in your stock lamp assemblies (which you undoubtedly do unless you did a HID retrofit using a HID projector) then it's not an upgrade, it's actually a downgrade ... in safety ... for others and you. You may be able to see better but the increased glare caused by placing cheap HIDs into a halogen lamp assembly means others can't see as well due to that glare. Hence the downgrade.

I'm not knocking your choice I'm just laying out the facts. So many people slap cheap HIDs into their vehicle to see better and forget the repercussions on others around them. We don't own the road, we share it... and if our actions negatively impact others even a bit ... we've been irresponsible.

Surreal

Quote Originally Posted by BowTieFan1 View Post
    It just may appear brighter.
    As brightness is a visual thing, if it -appears- brighter to someone ... then for them, it is. You must understand that perception of brightness and measured brightness are two distinctly different things and what's key to this difference is context. Silverstars use a coating that changes the colour temperature of the light ... which, in turn, changes the light's effect within the context of what's being viewed. Whether or not it's effective for you really depends on how you perceive things...

Here's some reading to help elucidate what I'm getting at. It's worth the time, especially when you hit the optical illusions that are merely generated by the use of different colours and shapes. When you hit this section and start to see the impacts of various aspects of vision, next try to imagine different shades of light on many, many shapes, while moving ... and extrapolate a bit. http://www.cns.nyu.edu/~david/course...-contrast.html

Surreal

I have installed a couple of sets of those, they lasted about a year, just as advertised. I think they worked great, just would like to have lights that last longer than a year.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Quote Originally Posted by surrealone View Post
    As brightness is a visual thing, if it -appears- brighter to someone ... then for them, it is. You must understand that perception of brightness and measured brightness are two distinctly different things and what's key to this difference is context. Silverstars use a coating that changes the colour temperature of the light ... which, in turn, changes the light's effect within the context of what's being viewed. Whether or not it's effective for you really depends on how you perceive things...

Here's some reading to help elucidate what I'm getting at. It's worth the time, especially when you hit the optical illusions that are merely generated by the use of different colours and shapes. When you hit this section and start to see the impacts of various aspects of vision, next try to imagine different shades of light on many, many shapes, while moving ... and extrapolate a bit. http://www.cns.nyu.edu/~david/course...-contrast.html

Surreal
    Now you dont get an answer like this everyday.... pay attention folks.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

I have used the silverstars and loved them. They ARE brighter and other drivers seemed to think so also. I got the one finger salute a few times.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Quote Originally Posted by BowTieFan1 View Post
    As a Electrician, my logic tells me that bulbs of the same type and wattage put out the same lumens. (brightness) Only when the wattage of the bulb increases can you get a brighter bulb.....
    Does a fifty watt incandescent put out the same lumens as a halogen? Or flourescent? Or Mercury Vapor? Or LEDs?
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast