GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Kenwood Headunit Installed

What you think of my Kenwood install on my '87 Sierra Classic. Its my first install and i did it on my own.

Matt
    1987 GMC Sierra Classic 5.7TBI

looks good

thanks, since it was my first i learned a few things. it isnt as hard as i thought to wire it up but getting the old one out was a PITA

Nice job, Matt! Ya did great

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

Quote Originally Posted by MD4x4 Fireman View Post
    thanks, since it was my first i learned a few things. it isnt as hard as i thought to wire it up but getting the old one out was a PITA
    As long as you have a wiring harness for the truck that plugs into the factory connector, it's a simple job of matching wire colors. Now, getting the dash bezel off...that's a major b*tch. Every time I go to pull it off, I cringe and start thinking about whether I REALLY need to get whatever I needed to do done. However, once I figure out how to get the headlight switch off, it became easy, but tedious with all the screws. Good job on the install. That looks cleaner than my install, which install kit did you use?
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    As long as you have a wiring harness for the truck that plugs into the factory connector, it's a simple job of matching wire colors. Now, getting the dash bezel off...that's a major b*tch. Every time I go to pull it off, I cringe and start thinking about whether I REALLY need to get whatever I needed to do done. However, once I figure out how to get the headlight switch off, it became easy, but tedious with all the screws. Good job on the install. That looks cleaner than my install, which install kit did you use?
    i got everything for the install from crutchfield.com thats the best place to get anything audio/video for a vehicle from. cutting out part of the dash to fit it was the hardest part. thanks for the compliment. lets see a pic of your install cause i bet it aint that bad

OK, I finally got around to taking a few pics of the install in my Suburban. Mind you, this is an old POS radio that was in my first car, but it's better(barely) than the factory head... I know Md4x4's been asking me for these, so here they are.

Talking Hmmm...choices

Which Kenwood did you go with? I was looking at both the Kenwood KDC-X491 and the Blaupunkt Melbourne SD27. I like the Kenwood for the front USB port, but the Blaupunkt drops the CD in favor of an SD card slot. I can't seem to get a CD player to last much more than a year. The CD player in the Alpine I have died so I'm looking.

There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

crawdaddy: it dont look bad man
    unplugged: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-S73im22...%7cFFUSB_Input there are a bunch of ones with CD and USB.

Bunch of good looking installs!! Not bad at all.

I'll second with going to Crutchfield.
    No matter where you go...there you are!!
    ----------------------------------------
    Mike

2004 Chevy Silverado LS Crew Cab
    1988 Ford Bronco (Project 4 Sale)
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200C