Those charges come up when a third party harms a pregnant woman. However they seldom do when she harms herself (i.e. attempted suicide, child endangerment, etc). The law needs to be applied consistently for there to eventually be a consistent view on it. However, the law will never be applied consistently until there is a consistent view on it. It's a chicken and egg problem.

I am, however, a bit bothered by the fact that people will far more readily charge the third party for an action that would harm a fetus ... than they will the mother, herself. Consider this: the mother smokes, drinks alcohol, etc. According to your view if she takes one sip of alcohol she's guilty of criminal child endangerment, as it's defined as 'physical, sexual, or emotional mistreatment or neglect of a child' ... and the consumption of alcohol by a pregnant woman is physical mistreatment (again, per your view). It's also contributing to the delinquincy of a minor. Same for smoking.

There'd be a lot more locked up people in this world if your view prevailed ... and our tax dollars would have to pay for it ... AND the medical attention for the pregnancies they had while locked up ... AND the fostering program for the kid if it's a single mother. Are you prepared to pay for all that (with your tax dollars) to support your view? I'm certainly not. Neither are most states, let alone the federal government.