GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Seat Wear on 2010 Silverado

I have a problem with the driver's seat in my 2010 Silverado (5,500 miles). The left seat back bolster on the drivers seat is wearing and will result in a hole soon. I filed a formal complaint with GM and they directed me to take it to the dealer. They told me to bring it in when I can do without the truck for 3 days and they would take it apart and try to find what is causing the problem (have not done that yet). To me, the problem is clear. There is a flexible plastic piece inside the seat back bolster that is out of position. It's acting like a knife blade inside the seat and everytime the seat rubs over it, it wears from the inside (that combined with poor quality seat material). I have a friend with a 2008 Silverado. His seats do not have the plastic piece in the seatback bolster and the seats still look like new after almost 200,00 miles. I would appreciate hearing from others who are having similar seat wear issues. Thanks in advance.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the club!!

There is a GM customer rep on here, I would file a complaint through GM and find out if it is a common problem. I haven't heard of anybody having this problem, but this post will bump you back to the top.

Blog Entries

so far, our 2010 Crew has no signs of wear ---about 8,000 miles on it ... I'll keep my eye on this problem now though.

Brian from Ontario, Canada
    Silverado Crew.....4.8 L

---Pendaliner BoxLiner and Side Rails....Van and Truck World
    ---Reese Adjustable Step Down Trailer Hitch....Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome eyebrow Mirror Covers.... Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome Bowtie 3rd Brake Light Cover....Van and Truck World
    ---DeeZee TailGate Assist ....Van and Truck World ( now Action Car and Truck Accessories )

---Westin Series side steps....Apple Auto Glass
    ---TRIFOLD rear soft Tonneau....Apple Auto Glass

---Chevrolet Bowtie Mudflaps...GM Dealer
    ---GM Rear Wheel Well liners...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Black Tow Hooks w Hloks
    ---GM Chrome Tailgate Handle/matching key-lock....GM Dealer
    ---GM Driver Information Center Upgrade...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Tinted Bug Deflector...GM Dealer
    ---GM Chrome Door Handles....GM Dealer

---Better Built rear hitch step .... Lowe's !!!
    ---AVS Window VentVisors...Canadian Tire
    ---AVS tinted License plate covers....Wal-Mart

Do you have a case regarding your concern? I would be willing to look into this for you with your case number. Please feel free to contact me privately with more information. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service

Quote Originally Posted by GM Customer Service View Post
    Do you have a case regarding your concern? I would be willing to look into this for you with your case number. Please feel free to contact me privately with more information. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service
    Tricia,
    Thanks very much for reaching out. Private message is on the way.
    Tom

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

Tricia,

I sent you a private message, however, it's not indicating it was sent. Please let me know if you didn't receive it and I'll send it some other way. Thanks, Tom

2010 Silverado. Seat material is real cheap and wears poorly(cloth seats). 2007 had 85,000 and no wear evident. Also drivers seat feels like it is breaking when you sit in it. Started about 11,000 miles. Of course the dealer can't find a reason to fix it. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach24 View Post
    2010 Silverado. Seat material is real cheap and wears poorly(cloth seats). 2007 had 85,000 and no wear evident. Also drivers seat feels like it is breaking when you sit in it. Started about 11,000 miles. Of course the dealer can't find a reason to fix it. Good Luck.
    The dealer has taken the seats apart and is replacing the side airbags in both seats. They think this will resolve the sharp edge/wear issue. But it will do nothing for the fading, water stains, lint etc. I agree, the seat upholstery is poor quality. If I had it to do over, I would have gone with leather. I purposely went with cloth because of the Texas heat.

Sr. Mechanic

I spent several minutes on another forum yesterday and several guys had nothing good to say about the newer cloth seats. I have an 2011 Crew Cab and the seats are horrible for lint. I also have a spot on my driver's side bottom seat cushion that is wearing. Forget about Chevrolet fixing them-it's not a safety issue. These seem to be the most sensible seat covers (price wise) I have seen yet-
    http://carleatherseatcovers.com/

They are probably using the same cloth as my 2011 Cruze. The driver seat on that is already worn down and I've had it for a little less than a year now.

Follow-up to my seat problem -- Local dealer was very responsive, as was GM, as was Tricia (the GM rep on this forum). It was an airbag issue. The airbag was cutting into the inside of the seat bolster, causing wear on the outside. They disassembled both front seats and installed redesigned airbags. I no longer feel the sharp piece inside the seat bolster, so I assume there will be no more excessive wear (However, I'm still disappointed in the quality of the seat upholstery). In addition to replacing both front side airbags, they also replaced the worn seat cover (seat back only) on the drivers side. Thanks to all for your help and interest.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by