GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I don't know if you already mentioned it but what kind of paint and clear coat did you use? Was it Glossy Black and normal clear coat in a rattle can? It looks great and would to see some pics of everything once complete..

2007 Silverado 1500 LT Ext Cab 4.8l, 2007 Suzuki XL-7, 2012 H-D Sportster "Seventy-Two"

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstarrchevy81 View Post
    I hear that man. I'm also wanting to paint my buschwacker tailgate cap for my tailgate but not sure if i wanna do it myself or not yet. I also wanna paint the front part of the bumper where the tow hooks go that has the plastic to match the truck. I'm going for the blacked out look but i want some chrome to not make the black just look plain.
    Thought the part by the tow hooks was black already?

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

Yeah it is along with the buschwakcer tailgate cap but i want it to be color matched to the truck.
    Quote Originally Posted by rileyjr16 View Post
    Thought the part by the tow hooks was black already?

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

I forgot what i used but i will look tomorrow and ler you know man. This paint and clear has went well together and after you do 2 or 3 coats of the gloss black paint i have wait 15 minutes in between and you can go ahead and start doing coats of clear coat like 2 or 3 and then your done and just wait until next day to install is what i do. I painted my center caps to match my truck and the paint and clear coat i was using was not doing right until after waiting forever for the paint to dry before clear coat otherwise the paint would have cracks in it and have to start all over lol

Quote Originally Posted by MoBillyAla View Post
    I don't know if you already mentioned it but what kind of paint and clear coat did you use? Was it Glossy Black and normal clear coat in a rattle can? It looks great and would to see some pics of everything once complete..

2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab Lt Z71 5.3 V8
    7.5 Inch Rough Country Suspension Lift
    RBP Replica Grille Black w Chrome Rivets
    Recon Smoked Cab Roof Lights
    N-Fab Powdercoated Gloss black Cab Length Nerf Steps
    5% Tint over 20% all the way around / 5% Eyebrow Strip
    AVS Smoked Window Visors
    Z71 Stickers Black & Metallic Silver
    Tow Mirrors / Smoked Turn Signals
    XM Satellite Radio Fin / Color Matched
    Interior Plastic Pieces / Color Matched
    Power Acoustic Tweeters
    Painted Bowties / Color Matched
    Painted Door Handles / Color Matched
    Smittybilt Bull Bar / Color Matched
    Custom Rolled Edge Exhaust Tips / Color Matched
    Custom 2.5 Inch Cat Back True Dual Exhaust
    Flowmaster Super 40 Series Dual in / Dual out
    Magnaflow Tru-X Pipe
    K&N Air Filter
    18x9 Rockstars Machined Black
    Center Caps / Color Matched
    33.13.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    New Front Wheel Well Liners
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Tailights
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Third Brake Light / Smoked
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Halo Projector Headlights
    Notto HID Kit 10,000k Low beams
    Recon L.E.D. Light Bar
    Buschwacker OE Style Tailgate Cap
    AMI Gloss Black Antenna
    Debadged Chrome Lettering
    Door Molding Removed

Any plans to paint the silver gauge cluster? Been looking at it to see how to get it out. What paint brands are you using? I picked up a can of the SEM black hoping it will match the factory black since it was $14 a can Has anyone tried out the black chome paint kit I've seen at the auto stores? Thinking about trying it on the rear bumper

Quote Originally Posted by dadngt View Post
    Any plans to paint the silver gauge cluster? Been looking at it to see how to get it out. What paint brands are you using? I picked up a can of the SEM black hoping it will match the factory black since it was $14 a can Has anyone tried out the black chome paint kit I've seen at the auto stores? Thinking about trying it on the rear bumper
    To remove the bezel around the gauge clusters there are 2 screws in the top black part..take those out.

Now you can pop off the top dash part that covers the instrument panel. There are 3 snap in clips on the back of it so pop it up and pull towards you.

You will need to pop the bezel thats around the radio and the bezel that is around your headlight controls..you dont have to take them off just po the corners off to help you pull the bezel around the gauges off easier.

Now there is 2 screws in top corners you need to remove. Once you have those out, there are 2 snap clips on the bottom corners..pull straight out and the bezel should now be free. You may now notice its tricky maneuvering it around the shifter...sooooo

I usually turn the truck on at this point and engae the parking brake...depress the brake...put in the truck in to first gear. This will make it easier to get the bezel out.

If your going to be painting these parts I recommend either sanding them with a 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper to get the shine off prior to paint. Or if you have a Lowes they sell a plastic primer made by Valspar...its to promote adhesion to plastic. Its not a primer like a grey primer you usually see... it goes on clear but follow the directions and you wont have to worry about the paint lifting off down the road.

If your trying to color match your exterior paint I recommend Auotmotivethouchup.com. You can get the paint code off the sticker in your glove box and order the paint to match in a spray can along with a ready to spray clear coat.

They also sell a ready to spray base and clear coat in pint,quart or gallon if you have the gun/compressor already. Unless your painting an entire car a most compressors guys own will work for individual dash parts. If its a 5 gallon or less you may have issues.

If your painting anything on your trucks interior take your time...dont rush anything...you can end up pulling your hair out if you have to redo parts. Solvent based paints on plastics can act weird when you start sanding and repainting.

Shawn

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Awesome tips sstoner911 Thanks. The light coat tip is the greatest tip but hardest to do lol.

Quote Originally Posted by dadngt View Post
    Awesome tips sstoner911 Thanks. The light coat tip is the greatest tip but hardest to do lol.
    Ya your first coat should be light....I just "fog" the part I am painting on the first coat let it dry for 5 minutes then lay down the second coat just so it looks wet. I usually try to wait 5 min between coats but I am with you sometimes its hard to resist to just lay down one more coat!

If you are using a base paint and a clear for me its easier than using a gloss paint like Krylon Fusion for plastic for example. If you get a run in the base coat no biggies sand it and repaint.

If I am going to get runs its always in the clear it seems. You can either cut the run off with a razor blade or if its small enough just add a few more coats of clear and wet sand to even it out. A razor blade can be your best friend!

Shawn

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Nice info man ha yeah it is hard not too lay too much paint down at one time. I just finished another piece in inside of my truck yesterday and came out great. I really wanna get me a paint gun and see how much better it would be? I will first buy me a little cheap paint gun just to try out on the air compressor. How much easier is it to use the spray gun compared to the spray can?

AVS Smoked Window Visors
    Power Acoustic Tweeters
    Painted Bowties / Color Matched
    Painted Door Handles / Color Matched
    Smittybilt Bull Bar / Color Matched
    Custom Rolled Edge Exhaust Tips / Color Matched
    Custom 2.5 Inch Cat Back True Dual Exhaust
    Flowmaster Super 40 Series Dual in / Dual out
    Magnaflow Tru-X Pipe
    K&N Air Filter
    18x9 Rockstars Machined Black
    Center Caps / Color Matched
    33.13.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    New Front Wheel Well Liners
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Tailights
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Third Brake Light / Smoked
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Halo Projector Headlights
    Notto HID Kit 10,000k Low beams
    Recon L.E.D. Light Bar
    Buschwacker OE Style Tailgate Cap
    AMI Gloss Black Antenna
    Debadged Chrome Lettering
    Door Molding Removed

If you have a Harbor Freight store or check them online. They have lots of tools that are cheap. I've bought a few with good results & have been looking at their paint sprayers. My father inlaw is a contractor & said the tools there are good unless your a pro, so not bad for a hobbiest or to learn with.

Yeah thanks man. I might have to hold out on buying things right now other than a few small things for the truck like getting recon cab roof lights installed and finish painting inside of my truck. I have to get surgery sometime in march and thank god i have good insurance through the military otherwise i wouldn't pay as less as i will be lol.

AVS Smoked Window Visors
    Power Acoustic Tweeters