GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: NBA Anyone?

Legend
    Blog Entries

Default NBA Anyone?

I heard on NPR the latest on the NBA stand off between the players union and the owners. The direction they are heading could take the rest of what is left of the season. Is it just me or does any one else not give a F.R.A. about the NBA?
    Last edited by Steve; 11-20-2011 at 10:34 PM.
    86 911 Porsche Carrera
    98 K1500 Suburban LT
    2012 Nissan Leaf

​General Motors.
    Because life is too short to drive a Ford

Yep no NBA this year, I won't be able to see my big 3 together again!

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3
    Factory Tint
    Recon Taillights
    2.5 ReadyLift Leveling Kit
    Low Profile Toolbox
    Westin Nerf Steps

The NB what? That's one sport I can't watch.
    2009 GMC Sierra 5.3L running on E85
    Black and chrome
    Volant CAI
    Borla dual exhaust
    Chrome Billet grill
    Tonneau cover
    4300k High/Low Beam HIDs
    Westin Ultimate Bull Bar with PIAA 540s
    Blacked-out tail and third brake light

It is just another case of a bunch of millionaires fighting over money when the average fan can't afford to take the family out to a game because it is just to damn expensive. 50 million dollars to dribble and shoot a ball into a hoop. I like to watch college basketball but not the NBA. Some of the owners of the NBA teams also own NHL teams. I have heard on ESPiN that they were stashing cash aside because the owners were going to play hard ball. I don't know about the rest but I don't get 50% or more of what my employer makes. The salaries for pro athletes has just gotten way outta hand.

Legend
    Blog Entries

I don't have a problem with them making a good living, er well make that a damn good living, after all they travel, injuries, stress on the body and the fact that when they retire, most are still young and need a career. But the numbers are ridiculous. I hope they are looking for sympathy from the rest of us.

I don't care for pro basket ball. Season lasts too long - like baseball. Hockey, its cool but the violence is uncalled for. Speaking of violence, what the heck causes baseball players to get so worked up that have to empty the dugouts and act like two year olds? NFL players don't brawl like that and that is a much more physical, in-your-face game. Just once I would like to see the local police arrest everyone involve in a fight at a freaking baseball game when they are leaving the locker room to go home.

If I decked the production manager because one of his operators tore up a machine I had just spent time and money getting fixed, I would be canned on the spot. Its about time the big kids visit the world the rest of us live in.
    86 911 Porsche Carrera
    98 K1500 Suburban LT
    2012 Nissan Leaf

​General Motors.

Hockey violence has a purpose. They take a run at your star player you return the favor. Most fights are between two enforcers and there are unwritten rules to keep things from getting out of control. Baseball fights are just funny. Ever see a baseball player throw a decent punch?

Hockey is the best sport to watch in person too...hands down.

Baseball season is too long, and hockey is too. When you play a sport that is associated with summer (baseball) and end it in October or November it's too long. Same with hockey. Stanley Cup finals are being played around Memorial Day. Who's thinking about ice hockey at the beginning of summer?
    2009 GMC Sierra 5.3L running on E85
    Black and chrome
    Volant CAI
    Borla dual exhaust
    Chrome Billet grill
    Tonneau cover
    4300k High/Low Beam HIDs
    Westin Ultimate Bull Bar with PIAA 540s
    Blacked-out tail and third brake light

I don't have a problem with them making money. I heard last season something like 29 of the 32 teams were in the red. There are 2 ways to fix that. Bring in more money (raise ticket prices) or reduce money going out ( less toward salaries). I remember Latrell Spreewell turned down a multi million dollar contract because he said it wasn't enough to feed his family.
    As far as fights in baseball goes it is a neccesary evil. To have someone throwing a ball at you at close to 100mph could do some damage especially if it is your "star". So to try to keep a pitcher from hitting someone intentionally there is the "fear" of thought of charging the mound.
    There have been instances were a hockey player was charged by the police for on the ice actions.

The problem is with a total deadlock that means that everyone loses. This is the same as someone who has 50% ownership in a car and decided to wreck it so the other person can't have any fun it in.

The argument for the players is that they are the ones that are doing the work, they are filling the seats, putting their bodies on the line and they should get the majority of the income from their own work.

The argument for the owners is that they have spent a lot of time and energy to maintain the entire league. They bought or built the franchise, spend money on advertising and marketing, make relationships with the city and spend time and effort on stadiums and the like, so they also have done a significant amount of work to even make it possible for the players to have jobs.

What gets me is that there is NO compromise? They're fighting over like 1% or 2% right now, so they're ALL going to lose 100% of their income, just to keep the other side from getting the last 1%? NOW, they're going to lose a season and next year fan excitement will probably be like 50% of what it was this year, so even if one side ended up getting 90% of the income ... they're still down from an entire lost season, and now they have less income coming in from less fans buying stuff.

It took baseball YEARS to come back from having the 1994 World Series cancelled due to the strike. I think the NHL lost a season a few years ago didn't they? Now the NBA is going to enrage active fans and turn off TENS-OF-MILLIONS of passive fans like me.

Just not smart at all, they would have been FAR better off giving up 10% than to have a season cancelled.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Legend
    Blog Entries

Agreed. The US Congressional Republicans are going to let the country go down the crapper because they want Obama to lose the next election regardless of the families that suffer. Likewise, the Democrats want to raise taxes to pay for the medical program they purchased on the "No Payments till 2013 plan". They will wreck the country to achieve this goal. Sounds like they need to follow the NBAs lead and work out a compromise announced last night.

No help me out, with the fighting thing. Hocky players are the guys that fight wearing boxers and no shirts, right? Or are they guys with sticks who wear skates?
    86 911 Porsche Carrera
    98 K1500 Suburban LT
    2012 Nissan Leaf

​General Motors.