GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Rain Damage? - 2005 Suburban Z71

Hello everyone,

I'd love to blame my wife for this stupid problem, but I can't...Last night I was running around town in my suburban with the sunroof (or moonroof - don't know the diff) open. I left it open and we had nearly an inch of hard rains last night...

Now, my wife tried to drive it and it was making weird noises, and the radio was cracking up...This is expected, I told her to let it stand to dry.

My concern now, is what type of problems should I expect once it dries?

Does anyone have any experience with this, or have any ideas of what I should look for, and what type of problems I'm in for?

Anything would help.

Welcome to the club. Have you removed the radio to see if theres any condensation behind it?
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    Welcome to the club. Have you removed the radio to see if theres any condensation behind it?
    Thanks!

No, I have not. I have to work on it tonight when I get home...I will check though.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

You will probably luck out.
    My 1998 Suburban has leaked for 6-7 years-passenger front driver front and barn doors.
    Despite these areas being wet with wrt carpet and underpading-for years- it has o speak of
    Now I did pull all the rear carpet and padding and sanded the light rust and repainted (with cheapo spray paint-) but painted surfaces -in no salt areas- seem to be very resistant to rust.
    If you are a salted road region MW NE- forget the above of course.

Have you been able to open the doors let it sit-and point fans at the areas?
    Maybe turn the heater on and just slightly open the windows with a fan pulling some fresh air in- out- to get it to dry out??

Sometimes it is a good idea to take up the plastic trim pieces that hold the carpet and padding down- put some crumpled newspaper under them to keep it up so air can circulate and evaporate to water from the carpet and padding.

Might use a standing electric heater to help dry everything out-including wiring etc.

Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

That's good to hear...So far, I've been able to work over the phone with the wife that everything seems fine - except the back radio controls (located behind the console), although I'm not really sure what is the problem as I can't understand what she's trying to tell me...

The floors are soaked so I've got to look into those as well...

Needless to say, I'm in the dog house