GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HIDs and Fire/Ice Light bar.

Hey all,

Haven't been around much but I just made a couple additions to the truck so I thought I'd share em with ya'll.

HIDs are Xentec 35w 6000k kits in both Lows and Fogs

Light Bar is a Plasmaglow Fire and Ice bar.

Enjoy...

Straight on...

Fog Lights at Night...

Low Beams...

Low and Fog Lights...

Fire...

Ice...

2009 Silverado LTZ Z71 4x4
    ReadyLift 2.25" leveling kit
    285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grapps
    5%tint all around
    Plasmaglow Fire & Ice LED Bar
    6000k HID's Low and Fogs
    Black badges

Looks very sharp! Who did the burn out in the street?

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

My friend in his duramax lol

5%tint all around
    6000k HID's Low and Fogs
    Black badges

looks nice, thumbs up!

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3
    Factory Tint
    Recon Taillights
    2.5 ReadyLift Leveling Kit
    Low Profile Toolbox
    Westin Nerf Steps

I hate to be a buzzkill, but it looks like a lot of glare from HIDs placed in a standard lamp assembly. The fogs are ok as they're mostly downward-angled, but there's a reason placement of HID kits into standard lamp assemblies is becoming illegal in many places -- the glare is flat-out unsafe for on-coming drivers ... which is flat-out unsafe for you (they might hit you). It may be cheap. It may even look good. But if it's not safe (for you and others) then you really need to ask yourself if you should be doing it. If someone wrecks and they claim it's glare-induced and you're out of legal specification then you have an UGLY lawsuit on your hands.

With safety in mind, if you need extra light to see deer, opossum, etc. then the safest ways to obtain it are to: a) perform a HID projector retrofit (do not confuse this with installation of a HID kit into a standard projector lamp -- HID projectors are VERY different from standard projectors), b) increase your fog lamps to 65 watts and wire up your fogs to always be on when your low and high beams are on AND wire up your low beams such that they are on when your high beams are on.

The first approach is very pricey. The second approach is about 10 bucks and 20 mins of your time and sheds every bit as much light as HIDs ... without the annoying (and illegal in many places) glare that cheap (i.e. under 200 clams) HID kits (without HID projectors) induce.

Personally, every time I see someone running high-glare HIDS down the road I pray that they drop a ballast, fry a wire, or have a short. I sit high enough on the road in a lifted rig that it doesn't induce glare for me ... but I know it does for others. This puts my safety, the safety of the driver with the HIDs, and the safety of anyone who shares the road with him/her at risk. That's UNCOOL -- no matter how cool someone thinks it looks.

Surreal
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 11-09-2011 at 10:00 AM.

Looks good! I've been contemplating the Plasmaglow light bar as well....
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

All I can say is sick! That light bar is so bad! Does yours have the sequential turn signal feature??

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

Quote Originally Posted by ntbush83 View Post
    All I can say is sick! That light bar is so bad! Does yours have the sequential turn signal feature??
    I was wondering the same thing. I'm also wondering what the mounting is like for the 60" rigid bar. Any shots of how it attaches?

Quote Originally Posted by surrealone View Post
    I hate to be a buzzkill, but it looks like a lot of glare from HIDs placed in a standard lamp assembly. The fogs are ok as they're mostly downward-angled, but there's a reason placement of HID kits into standard lamp assemblies is becoming illegal in many places -- the glare is flat-out unsafe for on-coming drivers ... which is flat-out unsafe for you (they might hit you). It may be cheap. It may even look good. But if it's not safe (for you and others) then you really need to ask yourself if you should be doing it. If someone wrecks and they claim it's glare-induced and you're out of legal specification then you have an UGLY lawsuit on your hands.

With safety in mind, if you need extra light to see deer, opossum, etc. then the safest ways to obtain it are to: a) perform a HID projector retrofit (do not confuse this with installation of a HID kit into a standard projector lamp -- HID projectors are VERY different from standard projectors), b) increase your fog lamps to 65 watts and wire up your fogs to always be on when your low and high beams are on AND wire up your low beams such that they are on when your high beams are on.

The first approach is very pricey. The second approach is about 10 bucks and 20 mins of your time and sheds every bit as much light as HIDs ... without the annoying (and illegal in many places) glare that cheap (i.e. under 200 clams) HID kits (without HID projectors) induce.

Personally, every time I see someone running high-glare HIDS down the road I pray that they drop a ballast, fry a wire, or have a short. I sit high enough on the road in a lifted rig that it doesn't induce glare for me ... but I know it does for others. This puts my safety, the safety of the driver with the HIDs, and the safety of anyone who shares the road with him/her at risk. That's UNCOOL -- no matter how cool someone thinks it looks.

Surreal
    Opinion noted...

Quote Originally Posted by TELORVEHC View Post
    Looks good! I've been contemplating the Plasmaglow light bar as well....
    Its pretty easy to install, the wiring took most of the time but it was by no means a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by ntbush83 View Post
    You know I almost got the sequential but I was actually going to mount another bar on each side of the truck and wire them into the turn signals so they whole bar flashed when I used my signal. So I didnt want the sequential in the back and flashing on the sides. But there just wasnt a good place to mount them so I sold one and the other is going to be a xmas gift.

Quote Originally Posted by surrealone View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. I'm also wondering what the mounting is like for the 60" rigid bar. Any shots of how it attaches?
    My kit actually isnt ridgid. Its an led light strip, very thin and flexible.

I ordered mine for Realtruck.com. They were and still are on sale:

Fire and Ice (the blinking bar)

$62 for the flexible

$104 for the solid bar

FireStorm (the sequential)

$147 for what I'm assuming is the flexible but it doesn't really say.

5%tint all around
    6000k HID's Low and Fogs
    Black badges

I have to agree with the opinion stated above. If you're going to have HID's, angle them down more so, and i hope to god you do not drive around with your fog lights and low beams on during the day... That has to be one of my biggest pet peeves. It drives me nuts seeing people driving around down the highway with their fog lights on when it's not even foggy. It's just as bad as having your brights on for the oncoming drivers. So i flash them my fog lights, they freak out and bright me. Some times i just wish i would have enough anger to turn around and just give it to them.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast