GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2007 Silverado 4x4 Burning Oil @ Alarming Rate

My truck has been burning oil for awhile now. I took it in to the dealer for 60K service at 58K miles. Had all the service done and told them about constantly having to add oil. Usually a quart to a quart and a half every 2000-2500 miles. I have no oil leaks and occasionally can smell oil burning if I am driving through the mountain pass or towing something. Usually though, I don't smell the oil burning and consumption seems to be the same no matter the drive style or usuage of my pick up. The oil seems to be disappearing. Oh and I run 5W30.

During my 60K service I was told GM issued a fix. They were adding something inside my oil pan which would stop the oil from burning. That was 2500 miles ago and surprise, my computer flashed the LOW OIL, ADD OIL light. This time I was 2 quarts low so the problem appears to be getting worse, the "fix" was pointless.

Anyone else with the 5.3L V8 having buring oil issues? What was the outcome/fix? I heard this is a common problem with Suburban's by haven't heard much about problems in the Silverados.

I want this fixed before my extended warranty expires. I love my truck.
    Last edited by koolbia; 11-16-2011 at 12:47 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Vanessa (Fife, WA)
    2007 4x4 Silverado LT
    6" Superlift / Leveling Kit / Superchip
    MBRP Cat Back Performance Exhaust
    35" Tires / 19" Wheels / Smittybilt Nerfs
    Custom 2 Tone Leather Interior

1978 3/4 Ton K5 Blazer Monster Truck
    8" suspension lift, 3" body lift
    44" tires, 16.5" wheels

The newer 5.3's have more issues than the older ones. All I have read on my other forums, seems to point to what Gm believes. The Ring gaps line up, causing extreme oil usage. Some on my local forum claim to have fixed the issue with top end treatments and letting it soak in (like a lucas treatment), freeing up the rings.

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...ht=consumption

05 1500, 4x4, 5.3, trailer package, G80.

Custom backup camera and double din dvd

Wanted to post an update in case anyone else is searching for a fix. Ultimately, GM replaced my engine (about 3 days before my extended warranty expired). My dealer mechanic determined that my engine specs were just barely within the limits of what GM considered acceptable. He went to bat for me along with my dealership service manage to get the engine replacement covered under my warranty. Even though the specs were just barely within GM's acceptable range, the mechanic stated that no fix other than engine replacement would resolve the oil consumption issues.

I couldn't believe my engine needed to be replaced at 58K but I will take it. The oil consumption problem is resolved and I got a new engine out of it. If you are experiencing oil consumption issues be diligent with your dealership and do not ignore the problem. GM will do the right thing if you follow through and demand resolution. My truck NEVER broke down or ran poorly, etc. The only symptom of my problem was oil consumption. Follow through and get your fix.

Legend

Blog Entries

Glad to hear that GM and your dealership did the right thing and kept another happy customer. Usually all we ever hear is the nightmare stories of bad service so it's good to know there are still some trustworthy dealerships out there that care about their customers!!!!!

(Scott) Myrtle Beach, SC
    January 2012 ROTM WINNER
    2011 GMC Sierra Z71 MAX 6.2 L w/ Trailering Package
    Rough Country, XD Rockstars, Nitto Trail Grapplers, N Fab, Lund Genesis, Putco, Gator Grip,
    Flowmaster 40 series, Diablosport InTune, Banks Ram Air CAI,
    WeatherTech, AVS Aeroskin, Tow Mirrors, Upgradeyourauto.com

Legend

Blog Entries

X2....it's good to hear stories like that. Thanks for taking the time to share...and glad you are in a better place than before with a new engine.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Default same problem, different question

Quote Originally Posted by koolbia View Post
    Wanted to post an update in case anyone else is searching for a fix. Ultimately, GM replaced my engine (about 3 days before my extended warranty expired). My dealer mechanic determined that my engine specs were just barely within the limits of what GM considered acceptable. He went to bat for me along with my dealership service manage to get the engine replacement covered under my warranty. Even though the specs were just barely within GM's acceptable range, the mechanic stated that no fix other than engine replacement would resolve the oil consumption issues.

I couldn't believe my engine needed to be replaced at 58K but I will take it. The oil consumption problem is resolved and I got a new engine out of it. If you are experiencing oil consumption issues be diligent with your dealership and do not ignore the problem. GM will do the right thing if you follow through and demand resolution. My truck NEVER broke down or ran poorly, etc. The only symptom of my problem was oil consumption. Follow through and get your fix.

Do you think you would mind if I used your situation as precedent when dealing with GM? My extended warranty is almost up and I'm having the same problem. I don't trust my dealer!
    Was wondering if you could contact me and give me some additional info?
    Tiff

I need to go to GM and ask if I can extend my powertrain warranty. I barely got 61k miles on it and the 5 years ends next month lol. I am hoping I can get like another year added or something. All these oil consumption stories scare me a little lmao. I don't wanna be driving down the road and then my oil light starts flashing at me only to find out I need a new engine due to something GM already knows and should of fixed under a TSB or recall. So far, I have no oil light show up and it doesn't burn oil. I only had a valve spring break and warranty covered it.
    Glad you got your truck fixed and its good to hear the dealership took care of you.