GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Halo Projector Headlights

Who's got Halo Projector Headlights? Anyone know much about them and who the parent company for them is? Also, if you have them, how do you like them and how are they working out for you?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

I almost bought some ... but then learned that they are -all- HALOGEN projectors. (This means they do nothing good for [and can actually worsen glare caused by] HIDS, as HID projectors are radically different beasts from halogen projectors.) However, like you I am interested in how those who have them use and like them. Thanks for asking!

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

There are many Co's that make them some good some bad.. As for The cool factor the Halo's do look great and the Anzo's have the brightest
    ones on the market. They use CCFL bulbs while other Co's use 1 little bulb and hope the light gets all the way around. As for the Projectors
    They say NOT to put HID's in them because of melting I have seen it done but I think people use lower watt ballest...They also can put out a thiner beam But they could have that cutoff that some lights have so you do NOT blind on coming people...

Hope this helps...

Look at Anzo,IPCW,Pilot just to name a few...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Hey Steve...check out my pics I have halo projecters as far as melting as long as you stick with 35watt ballast you'll be fine...55watts will melt it....
    4.8L Vortec | 6inch Lift | 35'' BFG ALL TERRAINS | K&N Intake | AirRaid Throttle Body Space | 3inch straight pipe dumped at rear axle | BlackBear Tuned | 2 13in JL Audio Subs | 1000watt HD amp, 2.9 cap | Kenwood Dble Din | Gibson Hi Flo Cats | HIDs Hi/Los 55watt 8000k |4.56 gears |

I purchased mine from Spyder in California. I think they also provide RECON their projectors. I am running 35watt 8000K HIDs in them. Like mentioned already, 55watt ballast will melt your projectors. So far mine have been great.<br>
    <br>
    They are also CCFL halos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011-05-27_17-10-39_867.jpg   2011-05-29_19-48-57_507.jpg  

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Hey Steve,
    I did purchase my projectors from RECON. They initially came with halogen bulbs (not too savy about how they'll handle HID's, not too worried about it either as I don't plan on installing the kit), but I changed them out for som xenon bulbs (4,600K). As mentioned above, the RECON projectors only have one LED to light the Halo ring, but in all honesty they look fine on my truck (still been fightin with the weather out here otherwise I'd have some nice night shots). I will say that you're best bet is to go either Anzo or Recon, as they seem to have the most satisfied customers. If you're interested, I do have photo's of the installation and some blog entries about the adventure! Hope that helps, and good luck with your selection!

2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Extended Cab Z71 4X4 5.3L Flex Fuel
    MagnaFlow single in duel out system
    Volant CAI & Ram Air Scoop with Power Core Filter
    Rhino Tuff Grip Spray in Bed liner
    Undercover Classic Tonneau
    Trail FX Bug "deflector"
    AVS Window Deflectors
    Black Powder Coated Nerf Bars
    RECON L.E.D. Interior, 3rd Cab light, Projector headlights, and Taillights
    ATX Crawl Wheels wrapped in BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain tires
    CalTrend Neoprene seat covers
    2" leveling kit from Max Trac
    Diablo Trinity with Diablew Tune

I have seen the recon projrctors and I think they are the Spyder projectors but twice the price. I got mine for 250.00 shipped. They have a non CCFL version along with the CCFL version.

i got a set off ebay but, i honestly think they are the exact same as spec-D, spyder, ans any other brand for the type i got... mine are the dual halo projectors and all that NO HID thing is the dumbest thing ive ever heard...
    HID's run cooler than Halogen, there is NO melting concern for HID, i converted mine to HID but had to trim a little bit from the bowl to fit the HID, now as far as performance of these lights, i see way better visibility in most stock halogen projectors, i honestly think this light output is nothing fantastic at all but i never had a problem with my stock headlights with HIDs and anyone flashing me, i had them aimed right.
    but the EXTREME downside of my projectors is the high beam... i had to buy a set of driving lights just to feel safe with these things...
    the high beams are horrible and i even upgraded to 120W bulbs and no difference, against a garage you can see the high beams concentrated below the low beam cutoff, and it is the absolute worst light pattern ever. they might as well not be there. on hilly terrain, or mountains i would be stuck going 5 mph so as to see over every hill, honestly i question why i still run them at all, but i think my only reason is because a while back i installed some fogs to complement them, and together i see plenty... honestly my fog beams light up the road better than my projectors... but together theyre decent
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR
    HELLA LED taillights and 3rd brakelight
    HELLA FF-75 Aux. Reverse Lamps
    RIGID dually D2, flush mount, wide beam
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads
    Russell braided steel brake lines
    Powerstop-red powdercoated brake calipers
    Powerslot Cryo brake rotors
    EGR in-channel window visors

Quote Originally Posted by reggiecab2000 View Post
    and all that NO HID thing is the dumbest thing ive ever heard...
    HID's run cooler than Halogen, there is NO melting concern for HID
    You assume the melting concerns pertain to the lense housing; they don't. The real concern is that most people exceed stock headlight wattages and place greater current draw on the stock wiring/connections than was intended for it. This results in electrical wires/connections that can and do melt -- specifically because an under-sized wire for a given load will heat up ... and that heat is then transferred to the wire's shielding.

That's a very real risk based on simple physics -- one your dismissal of melting concerns did not acknowledge.
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 11-29-2011 at 12:10 AM.

yes your absolutely right about the wires melting, i completely agree with you.
    im just talking about that little "no HID" sticker on these projectors, when people convert to HID the most common wattages out there are 35W and 50W and most low beam replacements are 35W HID's thats where im basing my assumption i guess you could say...
    USUALLY but definitely not always when you convert to HID your not risking any wire melting conditions especially at 35W, but if your talking about going to higher wattage halogen bulbs then yes you definitely need to upgrade the wires, that would be a high risk