GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1997 Leather seats a mess

So, the leather seats in this '97' are in pretty bad shapes with several tears on each seat. What is the most economical option of addressing it? Seat covers? Repair? I don't want it to look cheap but, it seems like recovering them all doesn't make sense either.

-mx

Most likely the cheapest way would be seat covers. MarathonSeatCovers.com have good fitting, durable seat covers. If there more than you want to spend take a look at CoverCraft.com
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Maybe not what you are looking for, but... I did a $1.00 improvement on my grey leather seats. They were cracked and split all over the place. The white and tan stuffing and backing was showing through. I took a can of walmart spray primer and sprayed it in all the cracks, then immediately came back with a towel that was slightly damp with paint thinner and wiped it off any area where it got on the leather. Now the cracks are all the same color grey as the leather and it looks better... not great, but better. And, it only cost me a buck!

I figure I'll eventually recover the seats, so I didn't mind testing out this crazy idea. Luckily it worked with no negative side effects! I was worried about the paint rubbing off on my butt, but it doesn't. And it really does look better! I'd say it took the seats (on a scale from 1 to 10) from a 2 or 3 to a 5.
    I like you.

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    Most likely the cheapest way would be seat covers. MarathonSeatCovers.com have good fitting, durable seat covers. If there more than you want to spend take a look at CoverCraft.com
    $700.00 for seat covers seams a little extream, but they are Cordora and that means bullet proofs, I guess the question would be, in the end do you want leather or tuff seat covers that will probably last as long as the truck?
    Terry

You may also want to look into adding heated seats! I've had them in previous cars and miss them a lot.
    I like you.

Quote Originally Posted by janikphoto View Post
    You may also want to look into adding heated seats! I've had them in previous cars and miss them a lot.
    No kidding, my son had an F-150 with heated leather seats, I did not think the seats in the Ford were all that comfortable, but in the winter the heat was way nice, my Suburban has leather but not heated and like janikphoto said I miss them, I wonder if they can be added.
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by TMair View Post
    No kidding, my son had an F-150 with heated leather seats, I did not think the seats in the Ford were all that comfortable, but in the winter the heat was way nice, my Suburban has leather but not heated and like janikphoto said I miss them, I wonder if they can be added.
    Terry
    you can add them to just about any car seat. Go to a local auto interior shop and have them quote you for new leather and heated seats...
    I like you.

Quote Originally Posted by janikphoto View Post
    you can add them to just about any car seat. Go to a local auto interior shop and have them quote you for new leather and heated seats...
    After reading this thread, I went looking, I found some after market heaters, watched the install videos it looked simple enough, my seats are in great shape, just no heat.
    Thanks
    Terry
    P.S. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I am probably going to find some reasonable covers. I am just trying to get this car ready to sell and this seems to make the most sense.

-mx