GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strange Noise

Exclamation

Please let me/us know what they do for you and if it works...........this will set precedence for the rest of us to get resolution.

Thanks,
    Audible

2011 1500 Silverado LT, 4x4/Z71
    K&N, Chrome Nerfs, Run Lucas Oil fuel treatment,
    DB-CORSA cat-back system (received). :great:

Left the truck at the dealer today,,, they came up short, I have to bring it back, there going to call the tech from gm to check it out,,,,big pain in the a$$
    Modís.. 8,000k Hid Head Lights and Fog Lights, 6 1/2 Infinity Reference 6030cs in the front. Infinity Reference 6032si 6-3/4 in rear,, Front and Rear powered with Sound Ordnance M-4100.
    Custom Sub box with 2 10 inch Kicker 10CVR104 with a JL Audio JX360/2 2-channel amp.
    Painted door Handles, Mirrors, and Wheel Well Moldings, Tinted Front windows, Custom Pinstripe,
    20 inch Enkei GRAB6 with a set of Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza tires.
    Gibson Dual Exhaust, K&N cold air Intake.

Keep after them...if they are bringing in a tech...they know there is an issue, just not how to fix it. Keep us posted.

Thank you,
    Audible

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Chevy View Post
    Left the truck at the dealer today,,, they came up short, I have to bring it back, there going to call the tech from gm to check it out,,,,big pain in the a$$

2011 1500 Silverado LT, 4x4/Z71
    K&N, Chrome Nerfs, Run Lucas Oil fuel treatment,
    DB-CORSA cat-back system (received). :great:

Yes for sure ,,,,
    Modís.. 8,000k Hid Head Lights and Fog Lights, 6 1/2 Infinity Reference 6030cs in the front. Infinity Reference 6032si 6-3/4 in rear,, Front and Rear powered with Sound Ordnance M-4100.
    Custom Sub box with 2 10 inch Kicker 10CVR104 with a JL Audio JX360/2 2-channel amp.
    Painted door Handles, Mirrors, and Wheel Well Moldings, Tinted Front windows, Custom Pinstripe,

I took it upon myself to preform this TSB on my truck myself. No more noise!

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 08-08-48-003F
    Date: April 06, 2011
    Subject: Tapping, Clicking or Ticking Noise at Windshield Area (R&R Right and Left Windshield Side Reveal Moldings to Add Double Sided Tape)
    Models:
    2007-2012 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
    2007-2012 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
    2007-2012 GMC Sierra, Sierra Denali, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XLSupercede:
    This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-08-48-003E (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).Condition
    Some customers may comment on hearing a tapping, clicking or ticking noise at the windshield area. This condition occurs more frequently while driving at highway speeds and could be exaggerated on vehicles with front bug guard deflectors.
    Cause
    This condition may be caused by air/wind causing the windshield side reveal moldings to move, generating a noise.
    Correction
    Remove both windshield reveal moldings, add double-sided tape and re-install the moldings following the steps below:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpeg 
Views:	525 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	32642

1. Using tape (1) or a grease pencil, mark the position of the inboard edge (2) of both left and right reveal moldings onto the windshield, following the contour of the molding.

Name:	2.jpeg 
Views:	509 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	32643

2. Remove the left and right windshield side reveal moldings. Refer to Windshield Side Reveal Molding Replacement in SI.
    3. Being careful not to affect the tape or grease pencil marks, clean and prep the glass at the seal interface with Glass Adhesion Promoter, P/N 12378555 (in Canada, use 88901239).

Name:	3.jpeg 
Views:	478 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	32644

4. Apply 3M Automotive Adhesion Promoter 06396, or equivalent, to the underside of the reveal molding seals.

Name:	4.jpeg 
Views:	476 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	32645

Tip
    An approximate 600 mm (24 in) length of tape should allow for overlap at the top to be trimmed back leaving a tail of release liner (1) and, at minimum, should reach the fender cut line at the bottom.

Name:	5.jpeg 
Views:	471 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	32646

5. Apply a 600 mm (24 in) length of 3M Automotive Acrylic Plus Attachment Tape 06386 (1.14 mm (0.045 in) thick x 6.35 mm (0.25 in) wide), or equivalent, to both sides of the windshield. Ensure the tape (1) position is centered between the windshield edge (2) and the tape/grease pencil line (3). Do not remove the release lining from the tape yet.

Name:	6.jpeg 
Views:	472 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	32647

6. Reinstall the reveal molding to one side by sliding the molding downward and ensuring that the top lip is engaged at the upper edge of the windshield.

Name:	7.jpeg 
Views:	548 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	32648

7. Install the fasteners to the reveal molding, starting from the top. Refer to Windshield Side Reveal Molding Replacement in SI.
    8. Lifting the top edge of the reveal molding, grab the tail of the release lining and pull downward removing the lining.

Name:	8.jpeg 
Views:	483 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	32649

9. Press or roll the reveal molding against the windshield ensuring adhesion of the tape to the glass.
    10. Repeat steps 6-9 on the opposite side.
    11. Remove tape or clean the grease pencil marks from the windshield.

Name:	9.jpeg 
Views:	477 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	32650

12. If positioned correctly, trimming of the double sided tape should not be necessary, however inspect the reveal moldings for any tape not covered and trim off any exposed tape.

Important
    After taping the windshield reveal moldings, avoid washing the vehicle as well as excessive contact with the windshield reveal moldings for a minimum of 72 hours.Parts Information
    3M(TM) products may be purchased through your local distributor. Information about 3M product retailers in your area may be obtained by calling 1-866-364-3577 (U.S. and Canada).

Name:	10.gif 
Views:	476 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	32651

Warranty Information

Name:	11.gif 
Views:	475 
Size:	4.0 KB 
ID:	32652

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the table.

Name:	12.gif 
Views:	472 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	32653
    Last edited by jfeezie; 12-13-2011 at 10:16 PM.
    Jeff - Connecticut
    2011 Silverado LT Z71, 5.3L, Towing Pkg

is it worse/more common after or during a rain? i have had the same problem in my truck, i was told its due to a not quite perfect seal on an aftermarket windshield, i actually noticed water leaking in at the top of the windshield on the passengers side one day

Quote Originally Posted by jfeezie View Post
    I took it upon myself to preform this TSB on my truck myself. No more noise!

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 08-08-48-003F
    Date: April 06, 2011
    Subject: Tapping, Clicking or Ticking Noise at Windshield Area (R&R Right and Left Windshield Side Reveal Moldings to Add Double Sided Tape)
    Models:
    2007-2012 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
    2007-2012 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
    2007-2012 GMC Sierra, Sierra Denali, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XLSupercede:
    This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-08-48-003E (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).Condition
    Some customers may comment on hearing a tapping, clicking or ticking noise at the windshield area. This condition occurs more frequently while driving at highway speeds and could be exaggerated on vehicles with front bug guard deflectors.
    Cause
    This condition may be caused by air/wind causing the windshield side reveal moldings to move, generating a noise.
    Correction
    Remove both windshield reveal moldings, add double-sided tape and re-install the moldings following the steps below:

1. Using tape (1) or a grease pencil, mark the position of the inboard edge (2) of both left and right reveal moldings onto the windshield, following the contour of the molding.

2. Remove the left and right windshield side reveal moldings. Refer to Windshield Side Reveal Molding Replacement in SI.
    3. Being careful not to affect the tape or grease pencil marks, clean and prep the glass at the seal interface with Glass Adhesion Promoter, P/N 12378555 (in Canada, use 88901239).

4. Apply 3M Automotive Adhesion Promoter 06396, or equivalent, to the underside of the reveal molding seals.

Tip
    An approximate 600 mm (24 in) length of tape should allow for overlap at the top to be trimmed back leaving a tail of release liner (1) and, at minimum, should reach the fender cut line at the bottom.

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

5. Apply a 600 mm (24 in) length of 3M Automotive Acrylic Plus Attachment Tape 06386 (1.14 mm (0.045 in) thick x 6.35 mm (0.25 in) wide), or equivalent, to both sides of the windshield. Ensure the tape (1) position is centered between the windshield edge (2) and the tape/grease pencil line (3). Do not remove the release lining from the tape yet.

6. Reinstall the reveal molding to one side by sliding the molding downward and ensuring that the top lip is engaged at the upper edge of the windshield.

7. Install the fasteners to the reveal molding, starting from the top. Refer to Windshield Side Reveal Molding Replacement in SI.
    8. Lifting the top edge of the reveal molding, grab the tail of the release lining and pull downward removing the lining.

9. Press or roll the reveal molding against the windshield ensuring adhesion of the tape to the glass.
    10. Repeat steps 6-9 on the opposite side.
    11. Remove tape or clean the grease pencil marks from the windshield.

12. If positioned correctly, trimming of the double sided tape should not be necessary, however inspect the reveal moldings for any tape not covered and trim off any exposed tape.

Important
    After taping the windshield reveal moldings, avoid washing the vehicle as well as excessive contact with the windshield reveal moldings for a minimum of 72 hours.Parts Information
    3M(TM) products may be purchased through your local distributor. Information about 3M product retailers in your area may be obtained by calling 1-866-364-3577 (U.S. and Canada).

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the table.

Your pictures don't match the words.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Well that is odd.... the did when I posted it....

---------- Post added at 12:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

I've added the photos in as attachments now, hopefully this will keep them from changing....
    Jeff - Connecticut
    2011 Silverado LT Z71, 5.3L, Towing Pkg

Jr. Apprentice

Thumbs up Strange noises (solved for me!)

Hello everyone and Happy Holidays to the forum: After having my truck for a year now, I had the same noises coming from the windshield area on both sides of the windshield. 2010 Silverado Crew cab LTZ 4 x 4 Diamond White Pearl.

This Summer it only happened a few times but the colder weather it happened all the time. I drive the Ohio Turnpike everyday at up to 75 - 80 mph and it does make noise.

Finally I recently changed out my chrome 20" wheels and tires for my 17" snow tires and wheels(not related) to the noise but it is when I fixed the noise problem. After changing my oil and filter, I thought about the noise thing. ALL I did was get my black silicone in my caulking gun and raised the side windshield trim up slightly and injected the silicone into the opening between the windshield and the side trim. I then lightly pushed down the trim to seal it. I let it set over night and the next day "NO NOISE" at all. Hope this easy fix works for the rest of you. No need to remove trim, go through all the other steps listed in this thread, this does work and easy too!
    Bill Ellis "BigDogTruck"
    Brook Park, OH
    2010 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 LTZ
    Color: White Diamond (White Pearl 93U)
    Mods: Chrome Bug deflector, Chrome vent shades,
    Billet Harley Gas door, Chrome Tailgate cover,
    Dynomax Cat Back Exhaust, GM steps, GM bed cover,
    Bedrug, Bed rail covers, K&N air filter, Rear LED Light strip,
    & Chrome Grill inserts, Rear fender liners, Billet "Bowtie" emblems,
    Steering wheel matching wood trim, WeatherTech flloor liners.
    Enjoy Life...It is too SHORT!!! :great:

Truck is going in Tuesday I will let u know the results,,,,,

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast