GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lockers

well this is my daily driver but its also my weekend warrior when me and my buddys goes out offroading. Lunchbox locker?

Fabtech/Banks Ram Air |Fuel Off Road/ 315/70/17 duratracs |Hyper tech / Spencershids |
    Color Matched Bowtie |15% Tint on Front Windows|20% Tint on Back Windows

Chevy Ridin' High
    "Black rims are as cool as a boner at a swim meet"

Lunchbox lockers are units that replace the "spider" gears and other internal parts, but use the existing carrier (in most cases, they only fit in a conventional or open carrier and won't fit the G80 carrier). Because the carrier doesn't need to be replaced, they are quite a bit cheaper than a full carrier replacement locker (like a selectable locker or the Detroit locker that have been recommended) and are cheaper/easier to install because you shouldn't have to set up the gears or anything like that.

Basic operation: They are "normally locked" with a ratcheting mechanism that allows the wheels to differentiate under most conditions. This is basically the same operation as the full carrier replacement Detroit lockers. They seem to be pretty good units, though I understand they do take some getting used to.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Sr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by aloxdaddy99 View Post
    Does Ox still have the cable activated lockers? If you were to go with an air locker make sure you upgrade the airline
    Ox still has the cables but thaey are just as much as the ARB's

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

X2 on Mrshorty reply, they work great for the weekend trail guy. There are a couple of different brands such as Lock Rite , Spartan and Power Trax. Google the majors like Detroit/Eaton and Yukon as they will have there specific type of drop in locker.

Hey if all else fails you can always weld the spider gears together!!!!

91 Suburban

D44/14BFF w/Disc conv - Yukon 4:88's - Yukon Grizzly Lockers F/R -13" lift - DIY4x Shackle Flip - 37 ATZ on 18 MT Classics - Doug Thorley headers - Magnaflow - Holley Pro Jection Intake - Ultimate TBI mods - Hydroboost Brake Conversion - Hysteer-X Over Conversion.

(Coming up - Fuel Injected 383 Stroker - Divorced NP205 - D60 - 40" tires)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12