GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Overhead console in 2002 Suburban?

Hi, My suburban was used as a state police car, so when I got it there is hole in the headliner where they rigged up the cop lights etc.. I would like to cover the hole, I've seen some nice long overhead consoles for the 96-99 or so Suburban's could I rig one of them up, or what type of overhead console do you guys recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by stephenwsmith View Post
    Hi, My suburban was used as a state police car, so when I got it there is hole in the headliner where they rigged up the cop lights etc.. I would like to cover the hole, I've seen some nice long overhead consoles for the 96-99 or so Suburban's could I rig one of them up, or what type of overhead console do you guys recommend?
    If your Suburban came with the short console from the factory, then I'm fairly sure, the long overhead console would not work(Fit)......

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

My understanding is that as long as you have an overhead console from the factory, you can install a long one. I would look for one from a 99-2002 Silverado/Sierra/Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban just to make sure the profile matches the headliner properly, since long consoles were available for some period of time within that range of years. All suburbans should have bracing in the roof due to the size of the roof, and the mounting points for the consoles should be built into that bracing.

I know with my silverado, I had to be creative with mounting the console because the base model trucks only have the top roof skin without the second skin and bracing for the console to mount to. If I'm not mistaken though, that shouldn't be a problem because the suburbans were all equipped with the bracing.

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

Great, I have a hole (they had up there the switches for the police lights, and I have a square hole, I'll post a picture of it tomorrow. I can feel around up in there, I'd like the long console, dont need the controls but would like the lights and space for sun glasses etc