GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Tirerack vs. Tirebuyer....huge cost difference

just a heads up for those of you who prefer to choose your tries from a larger selection than that found at a tire store, and who like to get good deals...

I usually buy from TireRack, and have enjoyed their prices and services. This time, I decided to see who else is big in online tire sales, and got to TireBuyer. I was looking for Firestone Destination A/T tires in P285/70/17. While both places had almost identical prices, TireBuyer ships for free to an installer near you, whereas TireRack charges for shipping (about $75 for me). In addition, TireRack has a warehouse in my state, about 450 miles away, so I also would have to pay sales tax, about $50. Did not have to do that for TireBuyer, so I saved $125 on my purchase of 4 tires from TireBuyer. Total price with lifetime balance/rotation was $708.

BTW, the Destination A/T's look great, ride smooth and quiet, and seem to have very little rolling resistance for an A/T tire.

Jim, Las Vegas
    Las Vegas, NV...2001 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Stepside X-cab, 171,000 miles, 5.3, cat-back duals, leveling kit, 3.73, 17" rims, more to come...

2. Likes the phantom, Scooter, McClintoc liked this post

Thanks for the headsup.
    4.8L Vortec | 6inch Lift | 35'' BFG ALL TERRAINS | K&N Intake | AirRaid Throttle Body Space | 3inch straight pipe dumped at rear axle | BlackBear Tuned | 2 13in JL Audio Subs | 1000watt HD amp, 2.9 cap | Kenwood Dble Din | Gibson Hi Flo Cats | HIDs Hi/Los 55watt 8000k |4.56 gears |

Nice. However starting this year or next year all Internet purchases will require sales tax from the state of the buyer collected by the seller.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Heck yeah, nice find. Definitely some big savings between the two.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Sr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by buckmeister2 View Post
    just a heads up for those of you who prefer to choose your tries from a larger selection than that found at a tire store, and who like to get good deals...

I usually buy from TireRack, and have enjoyed their prices and services. This time, I decided to see who else is big in online tire sales, and got to TireBuyer. I was looking for Firestone Destination A/T tires in P285/70/17. While both places had almost identical prices, TireBuyer ships for free to an installer near you, whereas TireRack charges for shipping (about $75 for me). In addition, TireRack has a warehouse in my state, about 450 miles away, so I also would have to pay sales tax, about $50. Did not have to do that for TireBuyer, so I saved $125 on my purchase of 4 tires from TireBuyer. Total price with lifetime balance/rotation was $708.

BTW, the Destination A/T's look great, ride smooth and quiet, and seem to have very little rolling resistance for an A/T tire.

Jim, Las Vegas
    It has been discussed elsewhere on the NET about how Tirerack just isn't a deal anymore especially if you factor in freight. As far as Tirebuyer is concerned - let's face it, they are getting a kickback from the installer to help defray the freight costs. BTW-shipping rates are not the same. For some reasons only known to the freight companies (UPS, FEDX, etc.,) they charge MORE to ship to a residence than a business. So then again, that makes up for some of the differences.

Most local shops will meet an Online retailers price, or come pretty close.

Shipping for all carriers is less to a business than to a residence. That's because businesses tend to have things like loading docks, workers who are likely to be there to receive instead of a wasted trip with wasted gas from no one being home, streets that can handle the larger trucks, etc.

Sr. Mechanic

ChevyFan-I agree to a certain extent but I can't help to think that it's really a way for the freight carriers to make more money off private individuals. I live in an area with 100s of houses-the UPS guy has a route and never just delivers to me.

I have a lot of experience with shipping. UPS rate to a business is less than to a residence. For non-boxed items is even more.

What you have written is not, yet, correct. There is no federal law on the books at this time, and no pending legislation which has a chance of 2014 passage, which requires 50-state or federal taxes to be collected. Some states have passed laws that require collection of taxes on internet sales in some situtations. In order for the feds to become involved, they would have to sue to overturn the 1992 Supreme Court decision which exempted from taxation internet sales conducted outside of storefront businesses. The feds would love to get something done, but have been unsuccessful so far. I purchase approximately 500 items online per year, from all over the country, and have yet to pay even one cent in sales tax. Yes, that can change, just as anything can, but currently, there is no law in effect, or closely pending, to change it. Hopefully, that will be the case for a long time.

- - - Updated - - -

CK,

The reason shippers charge more for residential delivery is that it is likely out of their way. Delivery to a business locale is likely to be someplace they may already be delivering to, or pass directly by. Heck, delivery to my house is a bit of a nightmare for them, so I fully understand why they want to charge a bit more. Residential deliveries are far more difficult and time-consuming than business deliveries.