GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Unhappy '99 Jimmy shifter problem

When I try to shift out of park, the button on the shift lever won't go in and I can't move the lever into gear. I can hear a clicking noise in the dash, when I push the button. Haynes doesn't mention the shift console, much less how to get inside it. I don't want to mess it up any worse than it is. without a clue. Anyone have any (clues)? TIA

Welcome to the Club!!!! There is some sort of cable I thought that when you press on the brake it allows the button to go in and allow you to shift into gear.. Its possible the cable broke or became disconnected. since you have a button im assuming your shifter is in the center console?? (some were also on the steering column) Im also assuming your vehicle is running and your putting your foot on the brake before pushing in the button.

My GF had a 99 jimmy and this happened to her.. But I just asked her and we dont remember what the issue was.. we never fixed anything it was just a fluke.. make sure the shifter is all the way up in park before trying to push the button in to bring it back into drive ect. Hope you figure it out and maybe someone else will have an idea to the problem.. good luck

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

It's the brake shift interlock. There should be an override emergency release option somewhere (look for a slot/hole near the shifter that you can stick a key into) that can get it out of Park without the brake being depressed ... All vehicles have them if I remember correctly.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

I stole this from somewhere else ...

Usually the problem is the shift interlock system is malfunctioning. The system has an actuator mounted at the base of the steering column that determines when the brake pedal is depressed and releases the gear selector. This prevents shifting the car from park into gear unless your foot is on the brake. Before you go to any expense checking this, try opening the plastic cover around the shifter and spraying a good dose of WD-40 all around the shift linkage as your problem may just be a sticking part in the mechanism. If this doesn’t work, you'll need to have the actuator checked out by a mechanic. I would not try bypassing the actuator as that can cause many more expensive problems than the cost of repair. Most cars and trucks have an emergency release which is a hole near the shifter or a button under the plastic shifter housing. You insert your key into the hole or press the button, shift into neutral and start the car. Then you do not put the shifter back into park until you get the car to the mechanic to fix the actuator.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD

Look for the emergency release hole first. Then try to fix as shown above.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD

This is the only lock actuator I could find for a 1999 GMC Jimmy. You might look on a desktop to see a larger image, I'm on mobile and is slightly hard to see.

http://www.gmpartsclub.com/oem-part/...uator/26094827

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD

Smile shifter problem

Thanx Phantom and Steve for the help. I'll try the WD-40 trick and let you know what happens. Any idea on how to remove the shift handle to allow me to get the console cover out of the way? I can work around it if I have to. Thanx again.