GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default 04 Silverado Battery question

OK so i had a dead battery after getting it back from the auto shop from getting t-boned. So it wasnt driven daily for 2 and a half weeks so i think not keeping a constant charge on it finally ended its stock life. So i get a new battery, cool starts, drives, stereo works again sweet i think. So i get in the rush hour traffic and im idling and i see my battery light turn on then it shuts off. I coast off to the shoulder so i can put it in park and start it back up, starts up fine and i drive all the way home and have not had a problem since. I took it to Autozone had them test out my alternator everything passed. I bought a new alternator anyways a 145A becuase i always had a problem with my headlights dimming when i am playing my stereo.

I guess my question is why would a brand new battery die on me on the freeway in idle and then fire right back up like there is no problem?

All connections are clean and secure.

Thank you.

Im not quite sure what the actual cause of that problem is. I had that same deal happen with my truck as well. Its a 2003 silverado 1500hd. Id be driving, and id be fine as long as i wasnt slowing down below 20-25 mph for stuff like a light or a stop sign. For some reason my tacometer would read that my engine was spinning pretty damn low, like 300-400 rpm range, sometimes lower. I did a little research, couldnt ever get a solid answer, there was a bunch of stuff like your injectors being dirty, so i put injector cleaner in with my next tank after that. Personally i think it was just a psychological fix because after 2 weeks and a new tank of gas i was having the same problem. Somebody suggested condensation in the tank which could be causing water to be burned along with the gas (its damn cold where i live, drops to -40 or so in the winter), so i ran some isoheat with my gas for a couple weeks. I noticed an improvement in my mileage if anything. And just like you, i got my alternator tested, and it was just fine, ill probably upgrade to a something a bit higher on amperage for stuff like my amps, hids, etc. Ultimately the fix that ive been rolling with for the past couple months is just shifting later and driving in a higher gear. So instead of putting your truck in the drive gear youd put it in third or even second if its really bad. It keeps the engine running a bit on the fast side, but i havent had my truck die on me in an intersection for a while now. Just my two cents.
    AkRide907 - Milaud
    2003 Chevy Silverado 1500HD Crewcab 6.0L
    Quadrasteer, K&N Cold Air Intake, Catback True Dual Exhaust
    "Welcome to Alaska... where its cold as f**k, and we go hard with our trucks."
    Next project: Install Long Tube Headers w/custom header back exhaust pipes

AKride907 I believe your problem was the same as mine. My truck was idling low too and would die and I did some research and found that carbon build up in the throttle body will cause this. Cleaned out the throttle body with carb cleaner and is good as new. The carbon build up will restrict airflow at idle and cause the truck to idle low or die. Vorteck1ng might help your truck too its worth a look.
    2003 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Extended Cab Long Bed
    Eaton Posi, TCI Torque Converter, B&M Deep Aluminum Pan
    6 Inch Procomp Lift Kit
    295/70/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers
    4.88 gears
    Air Raid Cold Air Intake
    Gibson Exhaust
    Hypertech Programmer

I hadnt thought of that before... nice. Ill give it a shot this weekend. Long weekend. Wooo. Thanks chevyhd24
    AkRide907 - Milaud

When you clean your throttlebody DON'T USE CARB CLEANER!! Use throttlebody cleaner. Carb cleaners can remove the factory clear coating that is installed on the t/body blade. I like to remove the t/body from the manifold so I can clean both sides with a soft toothbrush and t/body cleaner. Don't scrape the t/body blade to get off the carbon just use more cleaner with the toothbrush.

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

Also has your truck thrown any codes?
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Whats the clear coating in the throttle body for? :S

And nope, no codes :[. That would be too easy lol
    AkRide907 - Milaud