GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default going to look at a 2004 silverado...problem areas to look for?

Im going to look at a 2004 Silverado 1500 extended cab 5.3L with 93,000 miles. what area or areas should i focus on the most? Like what are the known problem areas and signs of the problem and how to check for it. This would be my first silverado purchase if i decide to go ahead with the deal if everything checks out alright. I want to go there with a good sense of knowledge on this truck so i guess any bit of info would be of help and appreciated. thank you

maintenance is the #1 issue. How many miles? How many services? Oil changes and the maintenance done by the books? That's key to keeping it running w/o any mechanical issues.

Otherwise, not much breaks down in these things, little things only really.

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

Is this from a dealer or a small lot or a private party? Try to get as many receipts as possible for maintenance if you can get them.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Its sitting at a small lot so i already know the dealer is going to tell me everything i want to hear to make a sale and thats why i wanted to really go prepared

They have a recall on the a/c regulator/module. I have to look at my paperwork to give the exact description but factory dealers will cover it for you.

-JJ
    04 Silverado Ext-Cab 2wd LS w/ 5.3L
    Spectre Performance CAI
    FLOPRO Dual Exhaust
    Bakflip HD Bedcover
    2005 Z71 17in wheels on Duellar A/Ts
    DDM Tuning 6k HID Low Beams
    Sony Headunit w/ iPod
    Blacked out Bowtie and Windows
    Matched Paint for bumpers and grill

Quote Originally Posted by jbjones240 View Post
    They have a recall on the a/c regulator/module. I have to look at my paperwork to give the exact description but factory dealers will cover it for you.

-JJ
    Can you explain this a bit more or provide a link?

05 1500, 4x4, 5.3, trailer package, G80.

Custom backup camera and double din dvd

Legend
    Blog Entries

Common problems I have came across in my last 3 Silverado's, two of them being 05's and one 04'.

Intermediate steering shaft (knocking noise which can be cured by lubing procedure, or replacement with upgraded Borgeson shaft)
    Gauge Cluster stepper motors (solution is to solder yourself, or send it out for $179)
    4x4 actuator (common malfunction, expensive If you can't do yourself)
    HVAC problems (blower motor/resistor)

As mentioned above the 2003" to 2007" Trucks/SUV's have problems/Issue's with the....Blower Motor Resistor's.....But G.M. Does Have a Special Coverage Adjustment.......the Coverage Adjustment is on the Vehicles/Years I've mentioned above and it is for.......10 YEARS or 150,000 MILES(240,000km).....whichever occurs first, from the Date the Vehicle was Originally Placed into Service.......Regardless of Ownership, the Repair will be made at No Charge to the Customer.

Edit:......I'll add one more item and that is......an Issues/Problems with the Front Wheel Hub Bearings.
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 11-23-2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Added Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Don't sweat the intermediate steering shaft issue if you encounter it. There's a thread in the HOW-TO section of this very forum that resolves it and it's a 10-15 dollar fix (parts) if you have the tools, already.

Legend
    Blog Entries

I can't count on both hands how many times I did the lubing procedure on that shaft, It's a waste of time and money. Just turn your radio up and you'll get used to the knocking noise, even the Borgeson shaft doesn't work for some people also noted in said thread that Darcy posted on here.

Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    I can't count on both hands how many times I did the lubing procedure on that shaft, It's a waste of time and money. Just turn your radio up and you'll get used to the knocking noise, even the Borgeson shaft doesn't work for some people also noted in said thread that Darcy posted on here.
    Remove the intermediate shaft exactly once, remove all old grease (soas not to mix grease types), cut and tap a hole, replace the intermediate shaft, screw a zerk fitting into the hole that was tapped, pump 60-75ish shots of grease into it ... give it a few hundred miles to get where it needs to get ... and then any time the knocks come back just give it a few more shots of grease with a grease gun (without any additional disassembly and consuming practically no time).

Page 2 of the thread dealing with intermediate shaft lubrication covers that approach. (http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...rocedure/page2) Simple and cheap -- and it saves lots of time. Gotta love it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast