GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Jr. Apprentice Pontiac Custom-S's Avatar

I think it's going to be a long a bloody strike, each side trying to break the other.

1969 Pontiac Custom-S, Assembled at the Baltimore, Maryland Assembly Plant
    2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT (AWD), Assembled at the Ingersoll, Ontario Assembly Plant
    2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP, Assembled at the Oshawa, Ontario Car Assembly Plant #2

Default Remember Eastern Airlines

Years ago Eartern Airlines employees went on strike. Management warned of pending disaster. They stayed out during Thanksgiving and Christmas. I think right after that they went under.

This is a simple issue that becomes complex because of the resistance to change. I have been paying close to 400 a month for family health coverage for the past 4 years. Why should GM employees not experience the outrageous increase in the cost of health coverage. Based on others emails the UAW must change its view of the auto industry. The big three are no longer bohemiths that are resiliant to economic forces and foreign competition. If they do not wake up they will be another story I will tell to my children about the Big 3 that used to be.

The last time the UAW walked off at GM, they had 400,000 workers and Michigan had one of the highest per-capita incomes in the US. Today they barely have 80,000 workers and Detroit has one of the highest unemployment rates in the Nation; over 7%. I blame the mess on greedy union bosses that screw the workers and despicable State law makers that cripple businesses by heavy taxes and regulation.

Quote Originally Posted by taylormaed View Post
    This is a simple issue that becomes complex because of the resistance to change. I have been paying close to 400 a month for family health coverage for the past 4 years. Why should GM employees not experience the outrageous increase in the cost of health coverage. Based on others emails the UAW must change its view of the auto industry. The big three are no longer bohemiths that are resiliant to economic forces and foreign competition. If they do not wake up they will be another story I will tell to my children about the Big 3 that used to be.
    I understand about insurance. But, 2 years ago, we gave back $1 per hour to help with health care. So in a month we are paying at least $160 a month minimum, without overtime. Now they want more. Another $1 an hour and I would be close to where your at.

I wish i could get 400 a month for my whole family. By myself I am 600 a month, and my wife would be an additional 800 if I added her, and children would be on top of that. How about this, I will send you 5$ per hour and you pay my insurance, deal?
    Josh

2001 VW GTI 1.8T
    2005 VW Passat 1.8T - soon to be gone but not forgotten
    1997 Chevy Suburban 1500 5.7L - What have I gotten myself into?!?

When Chrysler took over Jeep, (lota years ago) the factorys profit for the new downsized Jeep Cherokee after paying wages, retirement funds and health care was $4000. That was many years ago. When they are now paying more retirees than they have workers, their ability to make a profit, and satisfy the hungry "investors", they are getting the price of the vehicles close to a lot of people can't afford to buy a new car.

Mr Ford started making cars cheap enough so virtually everyone could afford one. So what happend? Too many management people for one..

In 1971 I bought my first new car, I was in the Army as an E-4. It's pricetag was basically the same as one third my annual wage. An E-4 doesn't get paid a whole lot..Today, the same similar car would cost me MORE than one third of my annual wage, and I have a decent job making $30 an hour. HOwever that style of car does not suit my needs, therefore I have to spend more to get the one that works for me.

Oh by the way, it costs me $353 a month for my portion of health insurance where I work, which is 40% of the preimum, and I am single. The company pays the rest, plus a matching 401K up to 5%. It does cost to be in buisiness and make a profit.
    Last edited by coloradowillie; 09-26-2007 at 10:30 AM. Reason: add stuff

Default Ceo

How about they cut the management salary?The CEO are making way more then the worker and they run the company into the ground then take a 400million severance package.

Default Just nuke'em

Sorrry if this post sounds irrespectful, but you "North Americans" (you're not just "Americans" indeed) are getting worried with no reason.

If Toyota, Hyundai or any other car company becomes a real threaten, just declare it a "factory of massive destruction weapons", that way you can invade the country and take control of their economy and if this is not feasible just nuke them. In both activities you're plenty of experience.

I just want to make you note that in this case, you're nothing but victims of the greed of other "fellow North Americans".

Best regards from other side of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Prabie View Post
    Sorrry if this post sounds irrespectful, but you "North Americans" (you're not just "Americans" indeed) are getting worried with no reason.

If Toyota, Hyundai or any other car company becomes a real threaten, just declare it a "factory of massive destruction weapons", that way you can invade the country and take control of their economy and if this is not feasible just nuke them. In both activities you're plenty of experience.

I just want to make you note that in this case, you're nothing but victims of the greed of other "fellow North Americans".

Best regards from other side of the world.
    What in Gods name does this have to do with an average joe's stuggles in life....? This is a Truck club not a political spring board. This is the most ridiculous statement I've ever seen in my life. I had a mind to delete it but I'm sure there's other members that might want to "Tee off"
    The average "American" or "Canadian" doesn't want to control anything but enjoy the freedom we fight and die (and have died) for, for many years now. I believe you just used one of our freedoms too (Freedom of speech) Use it wisely or lose your right to speak here

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast