GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thanks - That was a good video. Like I said before, I cleaned the throttle body on my old Toy pickup probably ten times or more. That's the last time I've done one (the only time, really). Yet I've owned other vehicles that I've never done it on. In cleaning it, I never actually removed the housing. He seemed to believe removing the flapper valve housing was necessary to do a good job, but for me, it was only necessary to make my gas pedal stop sticking - and it worked fine the way I did it (at least for a while). There was no fancy sensors (that I know of) other than my foot telling me it was sticking, which happened a lot.

In fact, I could push on the gas pedal (cable actuated) and "break it free", but I never felt this was a realistic way to drive the vehicle regularly. Besides, it was very annoying. Once warmed up it would not stick but after cooling and sitting it would do it all over again, and again.... The only reason I'd mention this is because the throttle body flapper valve and housing appear to be very similar in size and operation, except the TB has the drive-by-wire setup - which I personally love because my gas pedal has, not only never stuck in 122K miles, but it is also the smoothest and easiest gas pedal I've ever owned. I even hate to mess with it myself, as I've broken clips before, just like the guy in the video has, which can't be that good. But he gave good pointers on how to get some of the connectors off without breaking them.

But my point is, I guess, that these throttle body flapper valves *can* stick and with the TB drive-by-wire set-up there is really no way for the driver to know, if/when this happens, with his foot, because there's no mechanical link. You'd have to rely on the sensor. That's fine as long as the sensor is working properly but if it's not then, well ???

Regardless, in case I don't get to this for a while it's good to know there's a sensor in there that will supposedly trigger the check engine light if the flapper valve starts sticking. Have any idea how often people are cleaning these things?

I have heard of some people cleaning it yearly because it is kind of deceiving. When you look in there it looks clean but it is actually the back side of the butterfly that is filthy.Others it is one of the things they do when they take a big hit on the gas mileage.

The newish seafoam spray actually has a tube that will get in behind the butterfly and helps clean it without taking it all apart.
    2006 Trailblazer 4X4, 2.5" lift, Z71 rear springs, Skyjacker rear shocks
    Larry- KC7QJO

I'm not afraid to take it apart. The four small bolts don't look bad at all, and the guy in the video said the gasket is "re-usable" so I assume it's like a rubber gasket or something that won't break when I pull the small flange off. I'd be more worried about that wire for the actuator. I don't want to break the clip or anything when I disconnect the plug, but since it's easy to get at, hopefully this won't be a problem. I've owned the vehicle since new, and the computer is not registering any change in ags mileage at this point. It's running steady at around almost 17 mpg over the life of the vehicle. Slightly less at maybe 16.8 or 16.9 - I forget exactly because it has fluctuated when I take it out on road trips (it goes up then). Sounds like a good maintenance action item though just to be on the safe side, and easier to do at the same time I change the plugs.

Well - Last night I finally had to buy a new battery for it. It just up'd and died with no warning, which is not unusual in my experiences with batteries. My wife only drives the vehicle maybe like 5% of the time at most, but of course it fell into this 5% and she had it parked somewhere when it happened and the engine would not turn over at all. I had to "diagnose" the problem by phone, but I knew it was like a 95% chance it was the battery - I was kind of expecting it just because of the age and was meaning to have it checked. We were ride sharing, so I was stuck, but I worked with her and my son, and he was able to come and give her a jump w/his car, because he was not too far away. Meanwhile I found a nearby shop, on-line, that was still open at 6:00 PM and called the guy. He was real good and had a battery in stock and waited for her to come.

He put a new Delco OEM battery in it for $130 total, ($18 labor, including tax) which I didn't think was too bad. He also checked the old one to confirm it was bad, cleaned the cables, and put some "sealant" on the battery connections. I probably would not have even known about the sealant if I had done the job myself. I've only used those little donut things before, which do work well, but they are for the posts, not the kind of connections like GM has. The posts always seem to leak crap and so I guess I prefer the GM side-connector set-up anyway. I'm not sure what other vehicles have nowadays, but it looks like many are stuck with the old-style "post set-up". The only thing good about them is that they may make it just a little easier to jump.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234