GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Sr. Apprentice

Default What car do you think I should get

Okay so my brother is going to be trading in his 2006 chevy silverado crewcab 4x4. My brother would let me have it for 10,000. And it only has 93,000 miles on it. It has all the maintance up to date and is lifted and has 20inch tires on it. The only thing it needs right away is tires which are 300 a piece. I am also looking at a 2005 ford expedition eddie bauer with 151,000 miles on it. He wants 9,000 for it and gave him a 500 dollar deposit and he said if I dont buy it he will keep 250 of it. Dont know the maintance history but from what I know it needs nothing besides the tailgate being repainted. I was wondering which one you think I should get.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

The 93,000 mile Chevy at $10,500(since you will lose the deposit) is the better deal.
    151,000 miles is plenty of miles and the 5.4-3 valve heads- is nothing to brag about.
    You can always wait a bit on tires if short of $$.
    Plus you don't know the maintenance history-that is worth quite a bit to know it was well maintained.
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

For the $1250 difference, I would probably go with the silverado. It's newer, lower mileage, and you know the history. If the cost of tires in the near future will be an issue, that could be something that would stop you, but that's the way I would go. It is my experience that where I live anyway, 150,000 mile vehicles tend to not be in the greatest shape to be reliable or worry-free to own, especially if you don't know the history.

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

Personally, I wouldn't pay that much for a vehicle with so many miles unless it was an old muscle car or a "classic" truck; I mean both the silverado and expedition in this case. $9,000 for a FORD with 151k miles? That's ridiculous. Not to sound snarky, but do you just look at the outside condition of a vehicle and it's age to determine value? My '03 Silverado has 10k miles less than the '06 you're looking at and it's three years older.
    2003 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L Vortec V8
    2" Body Lift
    3" Suspension Lift
    Skyjacker Hydro 7000 Shocks
    Skyjacker Steering Stabilizer
    35" Tires with 20" American Racing Rims
    Velocity Cold Air Intake
    Billet Throttle Body Spacer
    BBK Performance Headers
    MBRP Cat-Back Exhaust System
    DiabloSport Predator- Soon to be tuned by Diablew

"Soon to be leveling-kit"

Quote Originally Posted by Metaluzc View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't pay that much for a vehicle with so many miles unless it was an old muscle car or a "classic" truck; I mean both the silverado and expedition in this case. $9,000 for a FORD with 151k miles? That's ridiculous. Not to sound snarky, but do you just look at the outside condition of a vehicle and it's age to determine value? My '03 Silverado has 10k miles less than the '06 you're looking at and it's three years older.
    Been a while since you went used truck shopping, Metaluzc? Demand on used vehicles has been high ... which has driven used vehicle prices up -- especially trucks given how expensive brand new ones are, now. (45k for a loaded Sierra LTZ 4x4?! OWW!). It also depends on what part of the country you're in, I suppose. In good shape and only needing tires a 2003 silvy with 100k miles on it will list for ~10k asking from a private seller, here, and the 06 would likely be more like ~13k asking from a private seller. (Remember, no one pays asking price, by the way...) I just checked and those numbers are right in line with private asking prices on the local Craiglist, here...

Well since buying my truck I have only bought one other vehicle in the past three years and that was a $1,000 '96 civic for a daily driver/gas saver (30+mpg). I bought my truck for $11,995 almost three years ago with less than 65k miles on it, so that's what I base my pricing on. I understand with the economy that "new" vehicles aren't being bought as much and people are buying used (supply and demand) but I just think that is a lot of miles for that price, just my opinion.
    2003 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L Vortec V8
    2" Body Lift
    3" Suspension Lift
    Skyjacker Hydro 7000 Shocks
    Skyjacker Steering Stabilizer
    35" Tires with 20" American Racing Rims
    Velocity Cold Air Intake
    Billet Throttle Body Spacer
    BBK Performance Headers
    MBRP Cat-Back Exhaust System
    DiabloSport Predator- Soon to be tuned by Diablew

"Soon to be leveling-kit"

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

The Ford Expo rides like crap It's top heavy and has Pour MPG's in the long run it will cost you more then the chevy....
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X