GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: more midbass?

Default more midbass?

Hey guys,
    i have had a set of some type of boston audio 6.5 components since before i got my truck from my older brother, still to this day i think they are awesome. especially crisp highs, and i also upgraded my 4X6 to a pair of infinity kappa 4x4 plate speaker a few years back, now those highs are intense! complementing that stuff is plenty of bass from my 2 12" kickers, but i have always had one small complaint, and i really think that i am lacking midbass, i just dont hear mids like i have heard other peoples even on stock stereos. i have messed with plenty of tuning but i just really cant seem top produce much of it (clearly anyways).
    my self proposed solution to aid this problem is getting a pair of 5-1/4 coaxials to replace my 4x6 plates ( i have read this all over and heard it isnt hard, only a little trimming) but do yall think this will AID me (obviously no way a pair pf 5-1/4 can completely heal my problem) i am definitely looking at the alpine type-R or type-S, but since mine is amplified i believe R is better. heard many good things from alpine always, but if yall have anymore midbass solutions please let me know
    thanks!
    (in a nutshell will converting from 4x6 plate to 5-1/4 circle give a noticable (worthy) gain in midbass)
    Last edited by reggiecab2000; 11-26-2011 at 09:09 PM.
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR
    HELLA LED taillights and 3rd brakelight
    HELLA FF-75 Aux. Reverse Lamps
    RIGID dually D2, flush mount, wide beam
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads
    Russell braided steel brake lines
    Powerstop-red powdercoated brake calipers
    Powerslot Cryo brake rotors
    EGR in-channel window visors

Quote Originally Posted by reggiecab2000 View Post
    (in a nutshell will converting from 4x6 plate to 5-1/4 circle give a noticable (worthy) gain in midbass)
    Everyone has his/her own opinion. In my opinion there will be a difference that you notice ... but that could also be said about switching speakers from Infinity to Alpine (and keeping the same size speaker). I don't think the difference will be substantial enough to warrant the time or the expense... at least it wouldn't warrant it for me.

If it were my money and time I'd put it into sound deadening the doors and then the cab in order to CUT DOWN on things I didn't want to hear ... so that I could hear more of what's actually there (without it being drown out by road noise, tire hum, exhaust notes, and the like).

But that's me -- and it also assumes you've tuned signal to your pair of 12's soas not to drown out the rest of your gear. If not and you're just pushing as much thump as you can muster, well, some tuning's in order.
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 11-26-2011 at 09:56 PM.

I think going to a bigger speaker size will help, but IMO it's not worth it. It would be better in the long run to (as mentioned above) invest in some sound deadening. You may also want to consider kick panel enclosures as well, those will give you some additional mid range.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

yes i am right there with yall with the sound deadening and i have alot dynamat already, not as much as i would personally like but thats only because of prices of that crap. and i would love to do the kick panels too i have seen them and they look awesome but the only thing is i cant see myself spending ~$100 for each kick panel + price of speakers + learning how to wire in 2 extra speakers to my amplifier... but i would love to do that if money was not an option
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans

Audio:

Tires/Wheels:
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    REAR
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

infinity kappa's were never a great midbass speaker. Plates are small so getting a good midbass out of them is hard.. Some good 4in speakers
    come with a plate to put them in a 4x6 opening.. JL Audio and Focal make a better midbass speaker Always stay with the same brand when doing speakers.

When I was in the store I would go from a 4in JL tr to a 5 1/2 alpine on the board and the JL sounded better all the time for the mids..Don't forget also you have to give them power for them to sound good if you are only useing the radio power you will NOT get midbass.. even the smallest speaker want atleast 30-50 watts.. and your radio only gives about 12-20 watts RMS at best...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

yes i am running all my speakers off an alpine mrp-f300, 4 ohms so its 50 RMS each speaker.
    im lookin at the new alpine type R 5-1/4 coax and have always heard good things and also the JL C2-525x....
    personally i know both are great brands and JL more known for their subwoofers, but it looks like ill be purchasing one of these 2 speakers only thing is alpine require 90 RMS as opposed to the JL require 60 RMS any comments comparing these two would be nice
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans

Audio:

Tires/Wheels:
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    REAR
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Yes you are going to need more power... And that amp if I remember right at 12.6 volts it's only about 35-40 watts....Your truck is not giving it anymore then that.. As for amps I have said it many times on here.. it's hard to beat the reliabilty and power from a JL / series amp..I know they are some $$$ but the 300/4 at 75 watts RMS all day at 11.5-14 volts can't be beat...Mine was 6 years old and never skipped a beat... and it Played at shows at full volume for over 8 hr's at times with out a problem....And at times it had the Sun beating down on it because my amps were mounted in the rear doors...But there are some other good amps to look at.. just remember see what they do at 12 volts NOT 13-14 that you will never get.. Rockford loved to print big numbers but it was all at 14 volts.. NOT.....A good amp will be about $1.00+ per watt...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Sr. Mechanic

What is up with JL it's like they are the only car audio company out there, who's getting paid? Can i get in on it. Or is it money for the forum cause i will JL it up then.

Explore the many other brands, there is MUCH better audio equipment out there for as much or a little more. Check out this forum http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/ its a car audio only site. Ask questions and look at what other people out side of Best Buy are using.

I dont mean to be a dick and JL does make a good system, but think of it like a good watch, theirs Rolex then their Breitling. Just look at other stuff before you settle on JL audio.

91 Suburban

D44/14BFF w/Disc conv - Yukon 4:88's - Yukon Grizzly Lockers F/R -13" lift - DIY4x Shackle Flip - 37 ATZ on 18 MT Classics - Doug Thorley headers - Magnaflow - Holley Pro Jection Intake - Ultimate TBI mods - Hydroboost Brake Conversion - Hysteer-X Over Conversion.

(Coming up - Fuel Injected 383 Stroker - Divorced NP205 - D60 - 40" tires)

Quote Originally Posted by kburb View Post
    What is up with JL it's like they are the only car audio company out there, who's getting paid? Can i get in on it. Or is it money for the forum cause i will JL it up then.
    Whether you meant to be a dick or not you were one. It's none of these things you imply. JL audio makes pre-built boxes for our trucks that don't seem to be made by anyone else. (Example: Stealth sub that goes into the center console.) They are form-fitted and very specialized in application. If others make them I didn't run across them when looking for such things and for reviews on them of people who have used them.

This specialization is part of what brings special attention to JL. They also happen to have amps with fantastic signal to noise ratios at very reasonable price points. (Many people focus on raw wattage and forget the S/N ratio when looking at amps; when I was pricing my amp no one could compete with JL in my price range; I'd have had to pay more for other amps to get the same S/N ratio and similar wattages.)

I can only speak to those two things based on my own research and equipment choices. I'm not getting paid. As I said in my post, above, everyone has his or her opinion. Those pricing out new gear should, of course, form their own.

Sr. Mechanic

Since were NOT talking about prefab sub boxes and more for the need for better mids, look around, listen and research. Like I said theirs Rolex and then theirs Breitling.

91 Suburban

D44/14BFF w/Disc conv - Yukon 4:88's - Yukon Grizzly Lockers F/R -13" lift - DIY4x Shackle Flip - 37 ATZ on 18 MT Classics - Doug Thorley headers - Magnaflow - Holley Pro Jection Intake - Ultimate TBI mods - Hydroboost Brake Conversion - Hysteer-X Over Conversion.

(Coming up - Fuel Injected 383 Stroker - Divorced NP205 - D60 - 40" tires)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast