GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Mystery Plug = What is it?

Changed the oil in my '97 K1500 suburban last night. When I went to do the filter, I saw a plug hanging down. I have no idea what it goes to. It's the orange plug on the gray wrapped wire in the attached picture. It hangs right below the oil filter, by the driveshaft and the front o2 sensor. Truck is running fine, but I would like to re-attatch the plug to whatever it is supposed to connect to. Any ideas?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mystery Plug 02.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	32298Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mystery Plug 01.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	32299

Found it!

It's the connector for the block heater.

block heater plug.

Please tell me that you did not put another fram oil filter on your truck!
    I have seen this repeatedly when I worked in a garage.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Please tell me that you did not put another fram oil filter on your truck!
    I have seen this repeatedly when I worked in a garage.

Yep. Have used Fram for years. Over a million miles on different vehicles, all with Fram filters. Never a problem with the engines in any of them. None went on their merry way with less than 150K on the clock.

I am glad to hear that you have never had any issues. Do you get any ticking at start up? I have had a lot of trucks with fram filters come in for oil changes that make all kinds of noise at start up. After putting a wix or an AC on them the noise goes away. I have heard that the anti back flow valve in the fram is the cause of the noise. Letting oil flow back down, leading to dry starts. Could be a bunch of crap by fram haters.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I am glad to hear that you have never had any issues. Do you get any ticking at start up? I have had a lot of trucks with fram filters come in for oil changes that make all kinds of noise at start up. After putting a wix or an AC on them the noise goes away. I have heard that the anti back flow valve in the fram is the cause of the noise. Letting oil flow back down, leading to dry starts. Could be a bunch of crap by fram haters.
    Nope, no ticking.

And I have seen WIX blow off of the threads, I have also seen Fram do it too, I think every once in a wile you get a bad one from no matter which brand you choose, personily I think they are just about all made in the same factory, just different branding, and different grades, but that's just my opinion.
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by TMair View Post
    And I have seen WIX blow off of the threads, I have also seen Fram do it too, I think every once in a wile you get a bad one from no matter which brand you choose, personily I think they are just about all made in the same factory, just different branding, and different grades, but that's just my opinion.
    Terry
    This is also just my opinion. I have no solid facts to go upon. There are a bunch of websites that tout fram as a very poor filter, that being said, you can't believe everything you read online. I prefer to spend the dollar more and get the AC filter. Actually I don't spend anything. I get my oil, fuel filters and spark plugs for free. But, when I don't have a AC in "stock" and I have to buy a filter I will only buy AC

1995 Silverado 4x4

2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)