GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Brake & rotor upgrade for lifted truck?

Useful Information:
    • Truck: 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab w/ 8 foot bed
    • Lift: 6" Fabtech
    • Wheels: 17" Helo 835 17x8
    • Shoes: 315/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    I'm noticing mushy braking in the wake of upgrades. I attribute this to increased weight, increased rotational inertia of the bigger (and heavier) tires, and increased load/weight transfer due to the lift. Right now I allow plenty of stopping distance, but I'd like my stock braking capability back ... or, ideally, better-than stock.

While my pads look fine a pad upgrade is an obvious choice. While I'm at it I'm thinking of a rotor replacement .. and if I'm going to go there I'm considering upsizing. I'll definitely go with slotted rotors (NOT drilled and NOT drilled/slotted), but I'm just not sure an upsized rotor will fit with my wheels.

Can anyone shed some light on decent big brake kits that don't cost an arm and a leg and will work with 17" wheels? Should I just stick with stock rotor sizes and switch to slotted rotors and high qualidy pads? Any rotor or pad recommendations?
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 10-19-2011 at 10:57 PM.

if your looking for "big brake kits"... SSBC has one and many other brands too... but i know for sure that the ssbc one requires 18" wheels or larger
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR
    HELLA LED taillights and 3rd brakelight
    HELLA FF-75 Aux. Reverse Lamps
    RIGID dually D2, flush mount, wide beam
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads
    Russell braided steel brake lines
    Powerstop-red powdercoated brake calipers
    Powerslot Cryo brake rotors
    EGR in-channel window visors

Look at R1 concepts for rotors stock size will be fine since your not running anything abnormally large. I'd say look at the premium series over the eline. they have the slotted only (as well as all the others)
    http://www.r1concepts.com/chevrolet-...-2004-ext5.htm. they run about 190/pair front and 240/pair rear on the premium slotted. there is also powerstop rotors to look at.

I would also suggest looking for the braided stainless steel brake lines from russel.
    http://www.russellperformance.com/mc...es_truck.shtml

A good set of pads can be from NAPA, EBC or Reybestos
    Last edited by dsfloyd; 10-19-2011 at 10:47 PM.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

dsfloyd:
    On that link to Russell I didn't see an option for a 6" lifted 2004 Sierra 4x4. It looks like they have 2WD for my year but the 4WD are for 05-06. I can't think of any sane reason for this. It looks like the part number for the 05-06 is the same in 2WD as it is in 4WD for those years, so perhps it's just an oddball omission and the 2WD part number for 99-06 is the same for 4WD. I should likely call -- as it's confusing as heck that there's a part number for 99-06 and then a different one for 05-06. (The last time I checked, 99-06 overlaps 05-06!)

I've been looking at EBC Yellow Stuff pads but want lower dust if I can get it. EBC Green Stuff 7000 series is lower dust but stopping power is lost. I'd really prefer a low-dust equiv to the Yellow Stuff pads if anyone knows of any speak up, please!

Quote Originally Posted by surrealone View Post
    dsfloyd:
    On that link to Russell I didn't see an option for a 6" lifted 2004 Sierra 4x4. It looks like they have 2WD for my year but the 4WD are for 05-06. I can't think of any sane reason for this. It looks like the part number for the 05-06 is the same in 2WD as it is in 4WD for those years, so perhps it's just an oddball omission and the 2WD part number for 99-06 is the same for 4WD. I should likely call -- as it's confusing as heck that there's a part number for 99-06 and then a different one for 05-06. (The last time I checked, 99-06 overlaps 05-06!)

I've been looking at EBC Yellow Stuff pads but want lower dust if I can get it. EBC Green Stuff 7000 series is lower dust but stopping power is lost. I'd really prefer a low-dust equiv to the Yellow Stuff pads if anyone knows of any speak up, please!
    Give them a call they were very helpful. they didnt specifically list the ones for my truck either. when I called I think they said the 05-06 HD cuz it had the front and rear discs. Then take and cross reference the number on jegs or summitracing to purchase. they werent too expensive. I want to say they were around $100. Ceramics will give you lower dust than a semimetalic, but I found less rotor warpage with the semimetallics.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    Give them a call they were very helpful. they didnt specifically list the ones for my truck either. when I called I think they said the 05-06 HD cuz it had the front and rear discs. Then take and cross reference the number on jegs or summitracing to purchase. they werent too expensive. I want to say they were around $100. Ceramics will give you lower dust than a semimetalic, but I found less rotor warpage with the semimetallics.
    I did call them today. Sadly, they weren't helpful at all. They basically said 'nope, we don't make a kit for a 6" lifted 2004 with 4-wheel disc brakes, but you can measure and order lines as individal pieces and you'll need to take thread measurements, too.
    It made me mad, as that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid by buying a kit...

I'm undecided on ceramic versus semi-metallic...

Let me check the kit I have. My truck is an 04 2500 non hd with 4 wheel disc with 6" lift and they didnt list it specifically (guess it depends on who you call). Unfortunately the truck is in the shop but I'll do some measurements and take some pics. I think I still have the old brake hoses. if the lengths are the same as yours and size then the kit should work too. Might take a day or so but let me see.
    David
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    Let me check the kit I have. My truck is an 04 2500 non hd with 4 wheel disc with 6" lift and they didnt list it specifically (guess it depends on who you call). Unfortunately the truck is in the shop but I'll do some measurements and take some pics. I think I still have the old brake hoses. if the lengths are the same as yours and size then the kit should work too. Might take a day or so but let me see.
    That information (especially the kit's part number) would be very appreciated. There's no rush, as my truck is currently lacking the entirety of its interior (including seats) while I lay down sound deadening material. It'll take me a few days to get it done and back together.

Another Web Site to take a look at for Stainless Steel Brake Lines for Trucks with Lifts......is Cognito Motor Sports,

http://www.cognitomotorsports.com/pr...line_Kits.html

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Jr. Apprentice

Because your truck has been lifted, a pre made kit may not be long enough from the calipers to the factory 'hard lines'. Thats probably why he said you need to measure the length and size of the fittings. You may need to have a set custom made for your application.

Hope that helps.

Keith
    1.888.323.8456 / 952.746.8880
    km@frozenrotors.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast