GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default oil preasure gage drops, then goes back to normal

hey everyone, i am new to this site.
    my oil Gage drops down to zero, but only for a few seconds and then goes back up to normal, does anyone know why this is going on? thanks alot,

Legend
    Blog Entries

Id change the OIL pressure sending unit on the back of the block. it is a common problem with these trucks.
    However YEAR, MAKE, MODEL, would help to better ID any other potential problems. Also motor size and tranny to.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

I had this happen on my 94 Ck1500 5.7 350. It would fluctuate alot and I started to hear an engine knock, well i took it to a mechanic and he did an oil change and used lucas oil stablilzer, fixed the oil pressure and engine knock, 3 months later happened again did an oil change and good as new so that could be an option if you have other issues along with the oil pressure going all over the place
    Will From Alaska
    -1994 Silverado z71 Extended Cab
    in the process of blacking it out
    original 350 5.7 liter engine with 122,000 miles
    brand new transmission as of may 2011

I had this happen on my '93 Sierra with the 5.7. It turned out to be the semi-syn oil the dealer was using. It was too slippery for the pump and when you accelerated hard enough the pressure would drop. I switched to conventional oil and the problem went away.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdubb2208 View Post
    hey everyone, i am new to this site.
    my oil Gage drops down to zero, but only for a few seconds and then goes back up to normal, does anyone know why this is going on? thanks alot,

I have a 04 Chevrolet Silverado RST has a 6.0 engine 26,000 miles and my oil pressure gauge has been dropping and going back to normal the engine sounds normal... Would like to know if you guys may know whats wrong with it
    Last edited by 04RegencyRst; 11-25-2011 at 10:15 PM.

Gauges in newer vehicles are electronic, not mechanical. A lot of things can make that happen, none of which may be any indication that the oil pressure is actually low. It could be simply a bad ground connection. If the engine were doing something that bad at 26,000 miles, you would hear noise.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by 04RegencyRst View Post
    I have a 04 Chevrolet Silverado RST has a 6.0 engine 26,000 miles and my oil pressure gauge has been dropping and going back to normal the engine sounds normal... Would like to know if you guys may know whats wrong with it
    How far is it dropping? Could be the stepper motor that moves the gauge.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)