GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default cheap powerfor 4.3l v6?

hello
    im the new guy here, i recently bought my first truck, an 88 chevy c1500 with a 4.3l v6. i love the truck, but the power is a bit disapointing. my last car was pretty heavy modded iroc z, so i miss the pull.
    so now my question
    i was wondering if vortec heads, iron marine intake, ignition (coil, wires, cap/rotor) would yield 210- 220 hp, and around 250ft/lb torque?
    thanks
    miguel

Yea you could start investing in parts to hotrod it some, but in the end your still running a 4.3 V-6 and as the cost of the parts start to add up you'll probably ask yourself would I have been better off dropping in a mild 350?
    My opinion is your money would be better spent looking for a low mileage V-8 out of a wrecked truck, with the year truck you have an engine swap shouldnt be a monumental task.
    Again just my opinion but I never understood why GM put the 4.3 in the F/S trucks, it made them underpowered.
    Years ago manufacturers used 6cyl engines in the F/S line without a lot of problems, 60's, 70's, and early 80's, but those engines were tall block straight sixes that made a lot more torque than a V-6, and while they werent as fast as a V-8 the extra torque was noticeable, in some cases the sixes had more rated torque than the higher cubic inch V-8's.

Legend
    Blog Entries

I second swapping in a 350 out of a 1988-1992 truck. it is a direct bolt in process and you will only need the motor (TBI to Oil pan) and the PCM out of the donor truck. Everything else is the same wiring harness, motor mounts etc.. It really is a weekend or day (depending on how fast you work) project. the vortec heads, and all of that may get you close to 200hp.. but the old 4.3L was just a gas milage, and cheaper work truck alternative.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

that was my first thought. but if the wiring harness is indeed the same then i might just do it. are the front springs/shocks different than the v6 ones?and i noticed my truck doesnt have a sway bar how difficult would it be to put one on? i also have a nv3500 will that hold up behind a 350? and how much worse will the gas milage be than the v6?thanksmiguel

the sad part is i have the v6 and before i put any mods on it, i still never saw great gas mileage and i dont know why people called it a "gas saver" or the such because the engine has to work harder to push a full size truck vs. a V8 not having to work as hard, and every v8 ive ever known in a reg cab, at least, got better mileage than my v6...
    so i actually have no idea why this v6 was ever put into a f/s chevy :/ no advantages i know of

well i guess you could say that with two less pistons, its got a few pounds shed lol
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR
    HELLA LED taillights and 3rd brakelight
    HELLA FF-75 Aux. Reverse Lamps
    RIGID dually D2, flush mount, wide beam
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads
    Russell braided steel brake lines
    Powerstop-red powdercoated brake calipers
    Powerslot Cryo brake rotors
    EGR in-channel window visors

X3, swap for a V-8.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

i find that funny too... i get around 15-16 mpg...
    if all i need is the engine and ecu then it should be around 300 bucks... because i can get an engine for 200 bucks from a junkyard here in orlando and the ecu shouldnt be too expensive...
    unless the front springs need to be changed.