GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New headers??

Default New headers??

I got an 02 sierra 5.3 v8. What are some good brands on headers? I know nothing about aftermarket headers so im hoping you guys have enough expierence to help me. I want some more torque at lower rpms, and giving me more hp as well. Any suggestions would be awsome, thanks!!
    2002 Gmc sierra
    5.3 v8 1500
    k&n air intake
    20inch liquidmetal dyno 6's
    xlerator dual exhaust.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Well I am partial to HOOKER!!

I have a set of longtube Hooker super competition headers on my LT1 firebird and they sound awesome. I can't give you actual numbers because I haven't had it dynoed, but I know it really made me want to get a set for my Silverado. The welds were a little sloppy but they were good enough, the fitment was perfect and the finish was.................well..........it burned off in the first 15 minutes but it's all good! I didn't have the $1,000 for a set of ceramic coated one's.

Just a few tips with long tube headers, make sure you wrap them with header wrap all down the primaries to keep the heat down. I recommend LAVA wrap by JESEL, It's good up to 2000 degrees and it makes a drastic cut in heat under the hood. Also soak the wrap in warm water to soften it up to make a tighter wrap, then use stainless steel hose clamps at the beginning and end of the wrap to hold it in place.

Header bolts in my opinion there is only one option, STAGE 8 locking header bolts. I constantly hear people talking about there bolts vibrating loose and such, these set me back about $80 but I haven't had to touch them since the day they were installed. They are solid stainless steel, hope this helps..

Depends on what you want to spend really, but go with long-tubes over shorties for sure. Price wise, PaceSetters are the best option; http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts...0A2600218.aspx
    2003 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L Vortec V8
    2" Body Lift
    3" Suspension Lift
    Skyjacker Hydro 7000 Shocks
    Skyjacker Steering Stabilizer
    35" Tires with 20" American Racing Rims
    Velocity Cold Air Intake
    Billet Throttle Body Spacer
    BBK Performance Headers
    MBRP Cat-Back Exhaust System
    DiabloSport Predator- Soon to be tuned by Diablew

"Soon to be leveling-kit"

Quote Originally Posted by 89steveo50 View Post
    I got an 02 sierra 5.3 v8. What are some good brands on headers? I know nothing about aftermarket headers so im hoping you guys have enough expierence to help me. I want some more torque at lower rpms, and giving me more hp as well. Any suggestions would be awsome, thanks!!
    As mentioned above, going with Long Tube Headers will yield you better Gains, than do Shorty Headers.......the one down-side with Long Tube Headers, is your Exhaust will most likely need to be Re-Wored, as where Shorty Headers are a Direct Replacement of your Stock Exhaust Manifolds, and will once again in Most cases will just Bolt-on......

Headers also come in Different Styles......Polish Stainless Steel.....Creamic Coated.....and Chrome to name the most common ones.......Below is an Article on Short Tube Vs Long Tube Headers on a 2007 Chevy Tahoe with the 5.3 Liter.....it shows the Spec's(Gains)on the Short Tube Vs Long Tube headers......Bottom-line it all comes down to what you are, once again as mentioned above, Wanting to Spend and What kind of Gains your Looking For, from a set of Headers,

Article: Short Vs Long Tube Headers,
    http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...ers/index.html

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Im also looking at running hearders bu on my 08 and was winder if i went with long tubes will and i have to remove my cats

Fabtech/Banks Ram Air |Fuel Off Road/ 315/70/17 duratracs |Hyper tech / Spencershids |
    Color Matched Bowtie |15% Tint on Front Windows|20% Tint on Back Windows

Chevy Ridin' High
    "Black rims are as cool as a boner at a swim meet"

I don't believe you will have to remove your cats, there will be some exhaust modification but you don't have to remove the cats unless you wanted to.
    2003 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L Vortec V8
    2" Body Lift
    3" Suspension Lift
    Skyjacker Hydro 7000 Shocks
    Skyjacker Steering Stabilizer
    35" Tires with 20" American Racing Rims
    Velocity Cold Air Intake
    Billet Throttle Body Spacer
    BBK Performance Headers
    MBRP Cat-Back Exhaust System
    DiabloSport Predator- Soon to be tuned by Diablew

"Soon to be leveling-kit"

Great article you linked, 99'Hearbeat. Thanks.

great article 99heartbeat. headers is on my wish list for my truck.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

I have Pacesetter shorties....I did gain some mileage maybe 1mpg at best but that alone was worth the cost of the headers. It also gave the exhaust a little deeper growl. HP....cant say for sure but it certainly didnt hurt! If you go by the "seat of your pants" test I would say it improved HP but by how much is anyones guess.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Sr. Mechanic

Search this forum and you will find many who have asked the questions. Be careful on wrapping headers i have heard more bad things than good about it but could be people i have asked.

91 Suburban

D44/14BFF w/Disc conv - Yukon 4:88's - Yukon Grizzly Lockers F/R -13" lift - DIY4x Shackle Flip - 37 ATZ on 18 MT Classics - Doug Thorley headers - Magnaflow - Holley Pro Jection Intake - Ultimate TBI mods - Hydroboost Brake Conversion - Hysteer-X Over Conversion.

(Coming up - Fuel Injected 383 Stroker - Divorced NP205 - D60 - 40" tires)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast