GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default GM offers free rental cars to Chevy Volt owners amid fire probe - New York Daily News

New York Daily News

GM offers free rental cars to Chevy Volt owners amid fire probe
    New York Daily News
    Chevrolet has announced the launch of a rental program to allow users concerned over the safety of their electric Chevrolet Volt access to another vehicle. The unprecedented move, sparked by the opening of an investigation by the US National Highway ...
    NHTSA investigates post-crash fire risk in Chevy VoltFenderBender
    GM's Volt Battery Fires Threaten to Disrupt 'Moon Shot': CarsBusinessWeek
    Chevy Volt battery fires prompt probeChristian Science Monitor
    Reuters -San Francisco Chronicle -Automoblog.net (blog)
    all 1,239 news articles »

More...

Huh, this story just keeps getting bigger.

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

Wait, these fires were weeks after the test collisions. So no one was in any danger.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Huh, this story just keeps getting bigger.

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

Wait, these fires were weeks after the test collisions. So no one was in any danger.
    Exactly. I've never seen anyone put a written-off car in their garage while dealing with insurance, so there is nobody driving it and its not inside. I don't see why this is such a huge safety issue. Possibly an insurance nightmare if one were to take out a lot full of salvage vehicles, but that's about it. It certainly wouldn't keep me from buying a Volt.

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE

Well, I can see that it might be put into a shop though and it could catch fire inside while waiting to be repaired. I guess it's possible that they could not see that the internal coolant lines got ruptured after a side-impact and maybe the poor bloke was driving to work or trying to recharge three weeks later and spark.

I just don't know. I've driven the volt and it's amazing so they just have to get battery security down now and that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Well, I can see that it might be put into a shop though and it could catch fire inside while waiting to be repaired. I guess it's possible that they could not see that the internal coolant lines got ruptured after a side-impact and maybe the poor bloke was driving to work or trying to recharge three weeks later and spark.

I just don't know. I've driven the volt and it's amazing so they just have to get battery security down now and that's about it.
    I guess I could see that happening. I imagine in most cases a vehicle with enough damage from a side impact to affect the battery pack would probably be totalled, but I know that isn't always the case.... My aunt was in an accident in her volvo a few years ago that did $16,500 damage when the car was only valued at $16,000 and her insurance company had it repaired.