GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Question Lighting upgrades. Looking for opinions.

i have a 2008 Crew Cab.. Headlight bulbs and Fog bulbs are starting to fail
    what are the proper bulbs to replace:
    Low Beam
    High Beam
    Fogs
    Anyone reco Sylvania Silverstar Ultras? Perhaps another brand?
    Where can i get all three from the same supplier instead of
    finding three diff bulbs from three diff web sites?
    Perhaps there are threads dealing w/this topic already?

thanks for your advice and Happy Holidays!

Sean Z

I just put PIAA ultra white 9000 series in my 2003 yukon. They are much brighter then the stock bulbs and very white, no blue. You could probably get them all on amazon, I think with most orders over $50 you get free shipping. They have a 1 year warranty. When I was doing my research a lot of people said that the sylvania silverstars did not last very long.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Jr. Apprentice

Thanks for the response Pikey, appreaciate it!.........i'll check out the PIAA's.

Jr. Apprentice

looks like PIAA's are the way to go huh? did you order them online or through local autoparts store?
    Also read i should consider subing the H9 for the H11 for my low beams. Any thoughts?

I ordered the fogs online. I bought the low beams at a store. I had one light out and did not want to wait for the shipping. I believe that the only difference between the H9 and h11 is the coating on the tip. One has it one has it and one does not. I was told that the coating is supposed to make the light bounce back to reflector inside the lens so you get a wider beam instead of a straight beam. It was a guy at autozone that told me that, so who knows if that is correct or not. You could always scrape the coating off of one of your current bulbs (you are getting new ones anyway), clean it with alcohol, put it back in and see if you notice a major difference between the coated and noncoated. If you do that please let me know what the result is, I am curious.

Go to DDM Tuning web site and get a set of HID's for all of them. I got all for my ss for $73.00 shipped thats high & low beams

Also free life time warranty just saying I would rather have HID's than hylogen bulbs
    Last edited by McMahan; 12-01-2011 at 04:30 PM.

2005 Silverado SS
    Color matched AEM CAI,Magnaflow mufflers,cat delete,true dual 2.75" stainless mandrel bent exhaust,Circle D 300K stall,Transgo shift kit,Corvette servos,Detroit Tru-trac,SLP 160* T-stat,Taylor 10.4mm red wires,Comp cams 228R,903 springs,12" cross drilled and slotted rotors,WHEATLEY tuned!!!! Boss 313 22X9.5,Toyo proxes II 305/45/22,

Legend
    Blog Entries

I run PIAA bulbs in all my trucks as well, not a fan of HID's. PIAA extreme white bulbs are 4300k color, which is basically pure white I have a video on youtube so you can see the color difference from stock.....TRPLXL2 youtube channel

Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    I run PIAA bulbs in all my trucks as well, not a fan of HID's. PIAA extreme white bulbs are 4300k color, which is basically pure white I have a video on youtube so you can see the color difference from stock.....TRPLXL2 youtube channel
    Dang those are bright one good thing with those are you don't have to fool with ballast