GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Off Road Lights used for Driving lights?

Gots me a set of Cepek KC 130watt Super Off Road lights.

Probably going to mount them up on my Brush bar.

Was wondering if anyone has wired up their and used them as a set of Driving lights to compliment the Stock Head Lamps?

Not too sure about legalities, but still would be Kool...
    Pavement sucks... :grrrrrr:

1994 K1500 4x4 Ext. Cab
    PCM chip and Xenon 8000k bulbs
    350cu.in bored over .050"
    balanced Crank, 10:1 compression
    Flat top pistons,cam,ported heads
    Option Racing Cold Air Intake
    Holley Throttle Body Spacer
    Accell Igition, 45kv coil
    FloTech Headers, no CATs, dual exhuast
    Goodyear Silent Armor A/T 305/70-16
    Pioneer SupertunerIII CD USB Bluetooth
    Kicker ZX200.2 ZX Amp
    Kicker Audio COMP 10" Subwoofer

i see people with tem ont here push bar or i think they are the offroad lights they might be the driving lights but either way people got them and they seem to like them me myself im going to be running this next year on my front bumper
    http://www.rigidindustries.com/product-p/eseries50.htm

Fabtech/Banks Ram Air |Fuel Off Road/ 315/70/17 duratracs |Hyper tech / Spencershids |
    Color Matched Bowtie |15% Tint on Front Windows|20% Tint on Back Windows

Chevy Ridin' High
    "Black rims are as cool as a boner at a swim meet"

Holy crap.... those are definitely not street legal.

Man that will be awesome.
    Pavement sucks... :grrrrrr:

1994 K1500 4x4 Ext. Cab
    PCM chip and Xenon 8000k bulbs
    350cu.in bored over .050"
    balanced Crank, 10:1 compression
    Flat top pistons,cam,ported heads
    Option Racing Cold Air Intake
    Holley Throttle Body Spacer
    Accell Igition, 45kv coil
    FloTech Headers, no CATs, dual exhuast
    Goodyear Silent Armor A/T 305/70-16
    Pioneer SupertunerIII CD USB Bluetooth
    Kicker ZX200.2 ZX Amp
    Kicker Audio COMP 10" Subwoofer

Legend
    Blog Entries

I have 5 KC daylighters 130 watts each, and It makes my s10 look like a 747 at night time. I never leave them on when a car is coming, basically they are my idiot lights. Anyone with aftermarket HID's coming towards me with them improperly aimed, or someone else with off road lights shining on me gets that treatment. I personally think it's dangerous, but to each there own.

PS the rigid light bar isn't the brightest thing out there, check out 4 wheel parts LED off road lights. 2 1/2 mile range on the low setting......$1,500 EACH

I am pretty sure it is illegal to use off road lights as driving lights. I know of few states that require off road lights to be covered on the road.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aloxdaddy99 View Post
    I am pretty sure it is illegal to use off road lights as driving lights. I know of few states that require off road lights to be covered on the road.
    It's funny you mention about having to have them covered up on the road, because last year I went to the Carlisle truck nationals in Pennsylvania. While I was out in the parking lot talking to some guys next door to me, the sheriff pulled up and starts running my plates on my truck. I walk over and ask him what the problem was, and he informed me that it is illegal to run with no covers on in the state of Pennsylvania. I freaked out but he didn't give me a ticket just a warning, needless to say I was grateful to have brought my light covers with me on the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by aloxdaddy99 View Post
    In addition to being covered while on paved roads some states require them to be wired to the high beam switch so they will only turn on when the high beams are on.
    And they require operating lights to be mounted in a predetermined height range from the ground.
    Ca. has this law on the books, an improper lighting ticket will get ya a $500 fine for each infraction i.e. no covers $500, improper switching $500, lights mounted to high (like on top a roll bar) $500.
    Lots of guys in Ca. used to mount lights on top of their roll bars years ago but the lights wouldnt be wired up so when they got stopped they wouldnt get fined because the law states "Operating lights", if they dont work you can fight the ticket.

I use my PIAA 525s as driving lights, but mostly on road trips...not so much in town. They are kind of like having "directional" high beams, and not many oncoming drivers flash me, so I guess they are not too blinding. The yellow fog beam on these lights also does a good job, and gets used more frequently. The inspector at the local brake tag station told me I needed to get covers for them because they were illegal. My truck doesn't have factory fog lights, and I asked him," how come the new Mustangs are allowed to have driving lights mounted in the grill 'without covers'?" He couldn't answer that. I figured next year I'll just throw some pillow cases over them to save trouble when I get inspected!
    -Sal

2008 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L Crew Cab
    Desert Brown Metallic

Century top, Yakima roof rack, 2.5" front lift, Readylift 3" rear blocks, Line-x bedliner, step bars, AVS vent visors, Weathertech floor liners, door sill guards, power tailgate lock, tailgate damper, KC light bar w/ PIAA 525s, rear mini-light bar, rear LED reverse/utility lights, dual batteries (Cole Hersee isolator), DIC upgrade, 20" GM wheels, Cooper Discoverer A/T3s, 26 gal. onboard air (twin Viair 480Cs), Nathan Airchime K3HA / Old cast 2nd Gen. P3 Horns, Graham White valve, bell

Past Chevys: 1985 S-10 ext.cab, 1963 BelAir sedan

Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    the rigid light bar isn't the brightest thing out there, check out 4 wheel parts LED off road lights. 2 1/2 mile range on the low setting......$1,500 EACH
    1500 clams for the 50" bar ... but you get free light covers!