GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Instrument cluster bulbs

I just noticed that the bulb for my fuel gauge went out on my 2003 Yukon XL. Does anyone know if these are easily removable? On my 95 silverado there were bases that you twisted off the cluster, pulled the bulb out and put a new one in. Is the 2003 like that? Does anyone know what voltage and wattage these bulbs are? How about a good source to find them at also? I don't think autozone will have them. I know I have a lot of questions on this one. Thanks for your help!

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

On your 03" Yukon......the Dash Cluster light bulbs for the gauges are Soldered On, In total there are 4 Soldering spots for each bulb, but from what I understand, only 2 are holding the bulbs in place.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    On your 03" Yukon......the Dash Cluster light bulbs for the gauges are Soldered On, In total there are 4 Soldering spots for each bulb, but from what I understand, only 2 are holding the bulbs in place.
    Well, that just about sucks! I wonder how hard it is to unsolder them and replace them. I just replaced 25 capacitors in an old TV, I am sure that it can't be all that hard. I guess that I am going to have to take it apart and have a look. If it gets too involved I will just deal with the light out.

I did an LED conversion on mine last year and it wasn't really difficult, just time consuming. One thing I would suggest make sure to set/mark you needle calibration points, otherwise you'll have a fun time taking them back out and adjusting them. I lost my tape marking on the speedo... You may want to go ahead and replace all the bulbs since your in there. And don't move those stepper motors while they're powered up.
    >>>2003 Suburban K1500 LT<<<

Currently:
    ~Rear overhead DVD
    ~Orion 600D
    ~ 12" Acoustic Elegance AV12
    ~Hankook ATM DynPro A/T's
    ~Flowmaster exhaust

are the LEDs ridiculously bright? Did you buy a kit somewhere or just all of the bulbs separately?

No the ones I picked up are not too bright at all. I picked up a pack of 50 off Ebay, just incase I got a spark to do other locations I wanted them all to match. You'll also need to add a resister in series to each LED. I removed 1 light and installed 1 LED set in that location, plugged in back into the truck to check if it lit, when I got it working I then marked the board with it's polarity, then I pulled it back off the truck. I then used the polarity mark to connect an external 12Vdc power supply (old home cordless phone, modem, ect. power adapter), then all the work can be done and verified off the vehicle. The tricky part is getting the LEDs low enough to not hit the cluster face plate when it's reinstalled.

I know where your coming from being concerned with the brightness of the LED's, but the brighter they are the better chance you'll have of them keeping a consistent color (day/night). The cheap ones I got go purple during the day but then look the blue color I wanted at night, that was a little disappointing. Also if you go LED, make sure you know the viewing angle of the it, going with a 180 degree Viewing Angle help to avoid getting "hot" spots. I still have a couple spots towards the bottom of the cluster where it's not as bright, but my wife doesn't notice it.