GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What mods do you regret doing?

Saw this on a Jeep Cherokee site.
    What mod do you regret?
    Doug - Idaho
    '05 Pontiac Vibe
    '04 Kawasaki KLX 300
    '03 Silverado 1500

I don't regret any of the mods I've done to my truck. I DO regret not having a professional install my headlights, as they were a pain in my backside to install, wire, and adjust properly!

2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Extended Cab Z71 4X4 5.3L Flex Fuel
    MagnaFlow single in duel out system
    Volant CAI & Ram Air Scoop with Power Core Filter
    Rhino Tuff Grip Spray in Bed liner
    Undercover Classic Tonneau
    Trail FX Bug "deflector"
    AVS Window Deflectors
    Black Powder Coated Nerf Bars
    RECON L.E.D. Interior, 3rd Cab light, Projector headlights, and Taillights
    ATX Crawl Wheels wrapped in BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain tires
    CalTrend Neoprene seat covers
    2" leveling kit from Max Trac
    Diablo Trinity with Diablew Tune

I first put a 6" superlift kit on my 95 silverado. It was total crap. If the tires wore beyond 50% the front end would hop all over the place. I was actually pulled over one time and the cop asked, "what the hell is wrong with your truck, I have never seen a vehicle hop all over the place like that?" I took that kit off and put the BDS kit on. World of difference and never had another issue. I wasted a crap load of money putting the superlift crap on my truck.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

If I had to do tires/wheels/brakes again I'd do 18x9's for the wheels instead of 17x8's. What drives this is that big brake kits need at least 18" wheels and I wanted to install one ... and learned I couldn't due to my wheel size. Aside from that I like my wheel size just the way it is ... but not being able to squeeze bigger rotors and some 6-piston calipers under there bummed me out a bit.

On my '05 Silverado I wish I had gone with long tube headers and not shorites. On my '96 'Burb I put a ProComp 6" lift on when the 'Burb was new and hated it. Replaced a year later with a Rancho that is still on the 'Burb.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Its not the mods i regret doing, its the parts i break while doing them hahaha jk.
    But I dont really remember regreting any. I do recall some though, Im pretty sure some of yall watch Xtreme-4x4. Well i seen them buff off the haze on their headlights with toothpaste and a buffing wheel. I was like IMA DO THAT!! i went out side, did it, i was impressed, i did it again maybe 5 months later (aka a week ago) and i held one part of the headlight case on the buffing wheel too long and it scarred part of the headlight and melted a part of it. Me being me, i tried buffing it out more,making it worse. So i just used a damp cloth and rubbed it out. took me an hour but its still kinda there. haha
    1994 Silverado Z71 1500 4x4
    BF Goodrich 31in All-Terrain Tires
    Painted frame-arms-axle
    Blazer Fog lights
    Removed front splash guard
    Tow hook Chains
    Locking gas cap
    REFLEXXION Rear bumper (Painted black)
    Diamond metal bed caps & Truck Box
    Painted engine bay
    Vinyl Flooring
    Bed insert
    Blistein Shock absorbers
    BOSS bluetooth LCD Radio
    Platinum trucker CB antenna
    Midland 5001z CB Radio
    XO backup camera
    X-press Remote entry-alarm
    CUSTOM metal gas & brake pedal
    Highland fold-away bed cleats
    Race thermostat

Legend
    Blog Entries

The only mod I regret doing was the only thing I never did myself, I took my s10 to a "professional" installer when it was 6 months old and had a Viper pager system alarm bloah blah blah. $599.00 later and all I had were major problems, dead battery all the time, several in cab fires result of shoddy wire "taps". I eventually just cut all the alarm wires I could see and just dealt with the loss, honestly I would rather have my truck stolen and stripped before I would ever have another alarm or anything like that installed.

I could install one myself today no problem, BUT I still don't like how much hacking you do to the BCM wiring...

Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    The only mod I regret doing was the only thing I never did myself, I took my s10 to a "professional" installer when it was 6 months old and had a Viper pager system alarm bloah blah blah. $599.00 later and all I had were major problems, dead battery all the time, several in cab fires result of shoddy wire "taps". I eventually just cut all the alarm wires I could see and just dealt with the loss, honestly I would rather have my truck stolen and stripped before I would ever have another alarm or anything like that installed.

I could install one myself today no problem, BUT I still don't like how much hacking you do to the BCM wiring...
    I have heard a bunch of remote start/alarm horror stories in the last week. I just had one installed on my 03 yukon! luckily the guy that did it has been doing it for more than 20 years. You can't even tell he was there. He did my 02 silverado 6 years ago and I never had an issue. When I worked in the garage we would have people's cars towed in all the time with alarm issues that would not allow the car to start. We did the same thing, just cut them out. Most of them had the system installed by some hack at a big box store.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I had issues with my viper alarm on my Grand Cherokee. I had it installed at Circuit City. I was leaving Ocean City going back to PA and the truck wouldn't start. Waited a few minutes tried again and it started. Get on the road try to put the windows down and they wouldn't move. Tried to turn the A/C on. Nothing. Luckily the sunroof worked. But I did look like a fool trying to pay the toll by opening the door. I got home took the jeep back and told them to pull the alarm out. They were baffled at why I would want to do such a thing. Once it was pulled out I never had another issue.

I agree remote starters/alarms can cause problems when they are poorly installed, which is why I like to do it myself. The one on my last truck had a minor (irritating but not inconvenient) computer incompatibility, and that was in the bypass module rather than the starter itself. On my Avalanche, the remote starter causes no issues and works perfectly so long as I never try to remove it, as I learned when I accidentally cut one of its wires.

With the interface modules available for GM vehicles now though (which can use a pre-made 4 wire harness to connect to certain remote starters) you connect power, ground, starter, and one data wire and you're in business. I might be missing 1 or 2 wires here, but the right system can basically be a 5 wire install since its all through the computer - and the modules that work through the computer (like mine) can turn your heated seats, rear defrost, etc. on for you too. If you do it yourself carefully, its tough to not get good results from them. That's just my view on it though.

Anyway, back to this thread. I don't regret anything I've done to the Avalanche... on the other hand I haven't done much to it yet.
    Last edited by pmf608; 12-06-2011 at 06:48 PM.

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast