GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default New burb owner needs help!!

Hello to all, I'm new to the forum and have a doosie of a question. I've inherited a one owner 1996 1500 2wd LT Suburban. 193,000 miles and it runs like a dream. While driving it yesterday I heard a pop while braking and then a grinding on the passenger side front while driving. At first I thought I just broke a pad. I slowly (35mph) drove to my workshop and proceeded to take off the wheel. I found that the bearing had been fried and it got hot enough to weld the spindle bolt to the spindle shaft. So after removing the knuckle/spindle I found a cheap replacement for $40. I put the new spindle on and now the brake caliper won't bolt back in. I seems that there is two different sizes of caliper bolts for suburbans? Does anyone know the size of the bolt? If I knew the size of the bolt in the calipers I could just drill and tap the holes in the knuckle. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I searched all over the internet looking for the size of the bolt but no luck. I can't even find any place that sells different calipers for a 1996 suburban.

Legend

Welcome to the club.

You're best bet would be to go to a dealership's parts dept with your old bolts to use for comparison purposes. Of course if you can bring the knuckle/spindle assembly with you, you'd have an easier time making sure the bolts match.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

I forgot to say the bolts are allen headed and they don't come out of the calipers. What I'll end up doing I think is taking the calipers to the salvage yard and try different knuckles. Is the suburban knuckle/spindle different from a truck's?

When my calipers went, I went with aftermarket...3 months later, I was replacing my spindle and the calipers I had just replaced. A friend of mine was a GM tech and when I asked him about the problem, he stated that there was a service bulletin that they had that whenever you replaced the calipers, to replace the brake lines as well.

Can't really help you on the spindle, but I wanted to let you know that if you replace the caliper, replace the brake lines as well...quick and cheap fix so that you don't have problems in the future. My spindle came off easily and I used a GM replacement (used to get a discount at the dealer...alas, no more...)
    C-Ya...Skiv!

gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8046
    Here's my truck!

maybe the new spindle is for a 4wd truck/sub. just a thought.

I wonder if he got a ¾ ton spindle by accident?

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

My suburban is a 1996 1500 2wd. The donor spindle is from a 1997 burban 1500 2wd. I verified this yesterday. I got another spindle from a 2500 that matches the bolt size exactly but the spindle diameter is larger. I went to the salvage yard yesterday to get the caliper bolts from the 97 and both calipers were gone. I went to my chevrolet dealer and they only have one size bolt for the 95-2000 1500's. So I'm just going to helocoil it. Thanks for your help.