GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default looking to get a Burb, 95 or older 4x4 a must....

Hey guys looking to get a Burb 95 or older anything i need to look for while kicking tires.....Looking for a late 80 preferably a 2500 4x4 with the 454.
    4.8L Vortec | 6inch Lift | 35'' BFG ALL TERRAINS | K&N Intake | AirRaid Throttle Body Space | 3inch straight pipe dumped at rear axle | BlackBear Tuned | 2 13in JL Audio Subs | 1000watt HD amp, 2.9 cap | Kenwood Dble Din | Gibson Hi Flo Cats | HIDs Hi/Los 55watt 8000k |4.56 gears |

That era of Burb's are sweet. The only issue I know of is in the early version with the 700r4. I am not sure what the problem was. I guy I worked with had a 93 (I think that was the year) he had to have the tranny rebuilt (this was back in 97) and when he did the shop that did the work told him about some upgrade they highly recommended he install. If I had a choice between a 700r4 or TH400 I would go with the 400. They have been around for a long time and can handle some big HP. I am sure the 700r4 can do the same with some work to it. I guess it is just personal preference.
    I don't know of any other issues. Good luck and post some pics when you get one.

Quote Originally Posted by aloxdaddy99 View Post
    That era of Burb's are sweet. The only issue I know of is in the early version with the 700r4. I am not sure what the problem was. I guy I worked with had a 93 (I think that was the year) he had to have the tranny rebuilt (this was back in 97) and when he did the shop that did the work told him about some upgrade they highly recommended he install. If I had a choice between a 700r4 or TH400 I would go with the 400. They have been around for a long time and can handle some big HP. I am sure the 700r4 can do the same with some work to it. I guess it is just personal preference.
    I don't know of any other issues. Good luck and post some pics when you get one.

Hey thanks for the info. Prob won't be till after the holidays...trying to talk the wife into why it would be a good idea for me to get one...Haha... Pics will be up for sure...

A '91 2500 would have the best of all worlds IMO.... It has the later '80's body style, but the newer much stronger 4L80E trans.
    Joseph

Airforce Veteran (7 years)

NRA Life Member

If I remember right you couldn't get a 454 with 4wd until the new body sytle in 1992.

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.

Quote Originally Posted by Boonduff View Post
    If I remember right you couldn't get a 454 with 4wd until the new body sytle in 1992.
    But, you could add one to an 80's model with a blown/broken 350. Get a nice roller and have a shop upgrade it to a 454!
    I like you.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Pretty sure you can get the 454-7.4 with the 96-99
    Same slightly blocky body style with lots of interior room-seats remove fold up to 98 x 50 inches(wheel wells)-so you can carry 4x8 building material inside-like a long bed pickup with a camper top-
    96-99 3/4 ton have the same heavy duty trans
    Main difference is the more advanced fuel injection-gives more HP torque and FE.-Pretty sure the 454 got the fancier FI- just like the 5.7-in 96.
    Bodys on 96-99 should have less rust-hard to find a good body in many areas-TX AZ LA and other Gulf Coast states good places to look
    Texas is Suburban central in the USA-
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Why not a 99 SLT? I think I have one lying around here somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosyurdaddy View Post
    Why not a 99 SLT? I think I have one lying around here somewhere.
    how much....haha Im not looking for to new, that means dishing out more money.