GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sstoner911 View Post
    I changed my turn signals to LED...I did not add resistors...I did find a shop that had a Tech 2( shop that deals with electrical issues in vehicles)..they charge $92.00 per hour....but it gets rid of the hyper flash. Dealer wanted $126.00 to reprogram the BCM.

Dont let the dealer tell you its not possible...when you see all these new work trucks with LED brake lights in the utility beds they dont have the hyper flash because the dealer changes the BCM!
    It's good to hear someone here has experience with the procedure I was suggesting.

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

I like the idea PMF608 and I discussed that entails changing out the flasher module for something that's LED-compat. 35 bucks and 15 mins of time by the looks of it.

I can probably get my hands on a tech 2. ima look into that goes i agree i dont like having to mess with stock wiring
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Quote Originally Posted by surrealone View Post
    I like the idea PMF608 and I discussed that entails changing out the flasher module for something that's LED-compat. 35 bucks and 15 mins of time by the looks of it.
    If your truck as a BCM you dont have a flasher module to change

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Hrm. Options aside from programming?

Quote Originally Posted by surrealone View Post
    Hrm. Options aside from programming?
    Just resistors.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

This isn't fully correct. The BCM is just the computer under the dash... the 2003-2007's have them, my 2001 had one... they've been around for a while. The difference is that the 2007+ trucks have a lot more things controlled by the BCM (signal lights among them). This is why on 2007+ vehicles, the turn signal sounds come from the radio instead of a flasher unit.

For 2007 classic trucks and older, there is still an actual flasher unit, so changing it out would be the way to go. For 2007 and newer, your choices are as sstoner911 said - either reprogram the BCM or put resistors in.

I only know a little bit about this, i replaced my tail light on my bmw with a custom one on created, if you are going to create your own LED light you will need to have a resistor or else you will burn out the LED prematurely. In order or solve the rapid flash(the one you get when a bulb dies) you will have to run a parallel circuit and have it omit as much volts that are needed as if you have a working light. Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Jaele View Post
    I only know a little bit about this, i replaced my tail light on my bmw with a custom one on created, if you are going to create your own LED light you will need to have a resistor or else you will burn out the LED prematurely. In order or solve the rapid flash(the one you get when a bulb dies) you will have to run a parallel circuit and have it omit as much volts that are needed as if you have a working light. Hope this helps
    If you are designing your own LED circuits, then resistors in the circuits are essential to the functionality of the LED, but these are to not kill the light - they are different than load resistors. Load resistors simulate having the load of a filament bulb in the circuit to prevent hyperflash. The load resistors would be a lot easier than setting up a parallel circuit to simulate the load, but I personally wouldn't do either. I know BMW has had factory LEDs available on a lot of cars for years now, and many models have been programmable to get rid of the bulb check & hyperflash like the new trucks are for over a decade.

Side note... I think its always cool when someone does up their own custom lighting projects.... do you have any pictures of those lights?

Quote Originally Posted by pmf608 View Post
    This isn't fully correct. The BCM is just the computer under the dash... the 2003-2007's have them, my 2001 had one... they've been around for a while. The difference is that the 2007+ trucks have a lot more things controlled by the BCM (signal lights among them). This is why on 2007+ vehicles, the turn signal sounds come from the radio instead of a flasher unit.

For 2007 classic trucks and older, there is still an actual flasher unit, so changing it out would be the way to go. For 2007 and newer, your choices are as sstoner911 said - either reprogram the BCM or put resistors in.
    Good point...I was strictly talking about the NNBS trucks, I should have been more clear

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast