GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HID help?

Question HID help?

I just got HID's installed on my truck and the lights when I went to switch from low beam to high beam it took them a while to get bright...I have been doing some research and I can't figure out the best way to fix this(if its even possible)...any pointers will be a great help

the only way to fix this is do a high four mod so when you hit your high beams your low beams are still on and your high beams will be too other then that you cant since hid need time to warm up since the halogen bulbs

Fabtech/Banks Ram Air |Fuel Off Road/ 315/70/17 duratracs |Hyper tech / Spencershids |
    Color Matched Bowtie |15% Tint on Front Windows|20% Tint on Back Windows

Chevy Ridin' High
    "Black rims are as cool as a boner at a swim meet"

but i went to a car dealer in my area to see if the new cars did the same thing but they said they didnt...its just nerve racking when your goin down the road and when you switch from low to high you lose the road...i read that i can either but a small capacitor in the wiring or get a harness...has anyone done either of these things with results?

That's because HIDs are not used for high beams in most (all?) new cars ... for the very reason you've encountered.

What type of HID's do you have? You probably got one of the cheaper sets of ballasts and bulbs. The more high quality HID's such as Morimotos and Densos have an almost instant warmup time.
    Year/Make/Model: 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
    Powertrain: 4.8L V8, Automatic, 2wd
    Tires/Rims: Stock rims and tires for now
    Top 5 Mods: Straight piped exhaust, Billet Grille, Color-matched bowtie/shaved moldings, 12K HID's, Two 12" Kickers with a 1,000 watt amp
    Next Planned mods: Truxxx Leveling Kit, Nitto Trail Grapplers, 15% Window Tint

Sr. Apprentice

how do you do the 4 high mod. i wanna do it to my dads older body truck since i got him a set of hid's for christmas

There is a thread in the how ro section i think it is for the hig 4 mod

Fabtech/Banks Ram Air |Fuel Off Road/ 315/70/17 duratracs |Hyper tech / Spencershids |
    Color Matched Bowtie |15% Tint on Front Windows|20% Tint on Back Windows

Chevy Ridin' High
    "Black rims are as cool as a boner at a swim meet"

I got race sport hids...I talked to a couple different tech people and they said a wiring harness will cure my problem cause instead of drawing power through the wiring the harness draws its power straight from the battery so I'm goin to try that...it was only $30 for both high and low wiring harnesses so I'm gonna try that...thanks for the help guys...ill let guys know what happens when the harnesses get here

Well I got the wiring harness but I think I blew my ballasts on the driver side cause now they don't work...how much are replacement ballasts and can I switch the kind of ballast I have for a different/better ones?(if there's a difference in them)

The ballasts themselves are suppose to get power directly from the battery.....I am not sure what setup you have but I dont have the problem you describe.

My ballast draws power from the battery...stock head light plug connects to ballast..then HID from the ballast to the headlight.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast