GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Which U joints for my 2500hd?

I have a 2001 Silverado 2500hd that needs the u joints done on the rear drive shaft. I was wondering should I use greasable or non greasable u joints and who makes the strongest for HD applications?
    J. Lord Chevy Truck Man

I would use a greaseable Precision, which is a division of MOOG. I bought the Autozone brand one time. I will never do that again. I had a heck of a time getting the correct u-joints for my 2002 extended cab silverado. I made 4 trips to the parts store. Finally I just decided to pull them all out, took them to the store and matched them up there. There were multiple part numbers listed for my application. What I found odd was that Autozone gave a lifetime warranty on the nongreasable joints, while the greasable had a 1 year and the heavy duty in their brand was not greaseable

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Pikey, Thanks for the advice. I am going to grab the greasable precision today from the napa warehouse by my house and install them. Thanks again!!!

X2 on the multiple trips to parts store.

Had to research it my self.

Fortunetly, LMC truck has excellant catalog diagrams.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...53-Yokes-on-me...

Chevy uses so many different styles of U-joints.

The key is in the clips that hold the bearing cups in place.
    Pavement sucks... :grrrrrr:

1994 K1500 4x4 Ext. Cab
    PCM chip and Xenon 8000k bulbs
    350cu.in bored over .050"
    balanced Crank, 10:1 compression
    Flat top pistons,cam,ported heads
    Option Racing Cold Air Intake
    Holley Throttle Body Spacer
    Accell Igition, 45kv coil
    FloTech Headers, no CATs, dual exhuast
    Goodyear Silent Armor A/T 305/70-16
    Pioneer SupertunerIII CD USB Bluetooth
    Kicker ZX200.2 ZX Amp
    Kicker Audio COMP 10" Subwoofer

Quick question as I am going to the parts store today. The precision u joints for the truck come in 3.62" over bearing size or 4.18" over bearing. Which should I use for a regular cab long bed drive shaft truck? Is there a way to determine which u joint is the right one without having to remove the driveshaft and u joints?

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

I figured it out. The precision u joint for the rear drive shaft at the transmission is part # PUJ 232, which is a greasable u joint 3.62" over bearing. The other precision U joint for the rear drive shaft at the rear axle, part # PUJ 295A greasable u joint 4.18" over bearing.