GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Reviving this 1998

So I've had my 1998 c1500 since... well... 1998 when I started driving. It's been my one and only vehicle for these past 13 years and I love it! However, at this point, it's beginning to really show its age.

I understand general maintenance and do my best to keep it running. My question to you all is, is there a good list of parts (hoses, sensors, etc...) that need to be changed out at varying year markers? I have yet to browse this entire forum as I just joined, but I plan to do so.

The reason I ask is I've recently come across issues such as coolant leaks, brake slippage, rich exhaust smell, excessive play in the steering wheel, pulling to the left and right, etc... and I'm not ready to spend a ton of $$ simply troubleshooting every possibility. I'd like to update the system with new components if they've passed their prime and THEN troubleshoot any continuing issues.

Obviously I don't know a whole lot in this field which is why I bring this to you. Any help is appreciated!

Sr. Engineer

I would check for play in tie rods ball joints ect. Take a look at the brakes & lines . Look at vacuum hoses not dry rotted . check brake fluid.
    Check serpentine belt. Flush radiator.. change oil .. check transmission fluid nice red color ... if not change.
    On the sensors ect. If they are working leave alone. Change fuel filter .

Welcome to the club, Slacker. Has the truck thrown any codes, for the rich exhaust smell??
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses: