GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: 2wd to 4wd

Default 2wd to 4wd

I've got a 98 cheyenne regular cab. With the 4.3. Im wanting to make it 4wd. Any one ever do it this and have some insight on parts ill need and cost. Any input will be great

its very complicated, ive seen it done before but you might wanna ditch the IFS stuff and just do solid axle swap, So much easier, they do it alot on x-treme 4x4. but its VERY costly, your looking at the 3-6 thousand range
    1994 Silverado Z71 1500 4x4
    BF Goodrich 31in All-Terrain Tires
    Painted frame-arms-axle
    Blazer Fog lights
    Removed front splash guard
    Tow hook Chains
    Locking gas cap
    REFLEXXION Rear bumper (Painted black)
    Diamond metal bed caps & Truck Box
    Painted engine bay
    Vinyl Flooring
    Bed insert
    Blistein Shock absorbers
    BOSS bluetooth LCD Radio
    Platinum trucker CB antenna
    Midland 5001z CB Radio
    XO backup camera
    X-press Remote entry-alarm
    CUSTOM metal gas & brake pedal
    Highland fold-away bed cleats
    Race thermostat

X2 on what Shadow said. In most cases it is cheaper and easier to sell what you got and buy a 4x. It can be done. You need a transfer case that will mate up to your transmission. If one doesn't bolt right up you could call advanced adapters to have an adapter made. A front drive shaft, a front axle that has the diff in the proper location (if you go with a solid front axle) and I am sure I am missing a few things. Again it is doable just not cheap.

X3 solid axle!
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Not a good choice for you,it's a lt's of work and and money and to be honest not worth it unless your truck is an absolute pristine shortbox,another downside is with the 4.3 not a good choice for a 4x4,your best option would be sell your truck and find a decent rebuildable 4x4.

Quote Originally Posted by chico View Post
    your best option would be sell your truck and find a decent rebuildable 4x4.
    +1 on what he said.

The thing is the money isn't my issue. I only have 600 in the truck. I've also got a 350 vortec complete with he computer and wire harness.

Find a truck close to the same year that has a good frame and four wheel drive. I bought an old truck with a bad transmission, swapped the body and everything else that wanted. Not the same year range but I've got 300 bucks in it plus my own personal wrench time.
    Bailey, KS

86 K10 Extended cab

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by project86 View Post
    Find a truck close to the same year that has a good frame and four wheel drive. I bought an old truck with a bad transmission, swapped the body and everything else that wanted. Not the same year range but I've got 300 bucks in it plus my own personal wrench time.
    X2. Hell, if you can find the same exact truck, you can practically swap EVERYTHING over.
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."