GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Quote Originally Posted by 747 View Post
    My shocks are blackish color, they look just like the ones on the non-Z71 trucks. So we have the same shocks. The Rancho shocks (white and red) are an upgrade from the standard Z71 shocks.
    Right. That's what I narrowed it down to. The Z71 comes with Gas shocks (black) that look the same as the standard shocks. The standard shocks are oil-filled. The Z71 Appearance Package (chrome tow hooks, Z71 gauge faces, special grille, etc.) gets the upgraded rancho shocks.

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE

Legend

Blog Entries

I have a Z71 without the appearance package, but it does have a towing package and it has the all black shocks.

(Scott) Myrtle Beach, SC
    January 2012 ROTM WINNER
    2011 GMC Sierra Z71 MAX 6.2 L w/ Trailering Package
    Rough Country, XD Rockstars, Nitto Trail Grapplers, N Fab, Lund Genesis, Putco, Gator Grip,
    Flowmaster 40 series, Diablosport InTune, Banks Ram Air CAI,
    WeatherTech, AVS Aeroskin, Tow Mirrors, Upgradeyourauto.com

Sr. Mechanic

back in the day, the Z71 package included Bilstiens but not sure any more, if Chevy is getting there shocks from Monroe they could be Rancho's. I thought the Rancho's were made by Monroe.

look to see if there is any numbers on the shocks that you could google.

91 Suburban

D44/14BFF w/Disc conv - Yukon 4:88's - Yukon Grizzly Lockers F/R -13" lift - DIY4x Shackle Flip - 37 ATZ on 18 MT Classics - Doug Thorley headers - Magnaflow - Holley Pro Jection Intake - Ultimate TBI mods - Hydroboost Brake Conversion - Hysteer-X Over Conversion.

(Coming up - Fuel Injected 383 Stroker - Divorced NP205 - D60 - 40" tires)

Heres the next question, the Z71 comes with a 36mm swaybar, dont all the new 1500 trucks have this feature?
    2011 Silverado, ext cab, LT, Z71, 4X4, leather interior, color matched mirror caps & bowtie.

Next to the Z71 Off-Road Suspension Package, there is the Z71 Appearance Package, the Z83 and Z85 Suspension Packages and last the Z82 Trailering Package they come with the Following features,

***Z82.....
    Trailering Equipment HD includes Trailer Hitch Platform. 7 wire harness, K47 high Capacity Air Cleaner, (KNP) Cooling External Transmission Cooler,

***Z83....Delivers a Solid, Smooth Ride with 35mm-piston, Twin-Tube Shocks and a 32mm Front Stabilizer Bar

***Z85....Designed for Enhanced Handling and Trailer Towing, with 35mm-Piston, Mono-Tube Shocks and a 36mm Front Stabilizer Bar

***Z71....Delivers Enhanced Off-Road Capability; features 46mm Shocks, Off-Road Jounce Bumpers and a 36mm Front Stabilizer Bar; the Package also includes a Skid Plate, Heavy-Duty Air Cleaner and Z71 Decals on the Rear Fenders

***Z71.....Appearance Package, available on Extended Cab Standard Box and Crew Cab™ Short Box models, includes body-color front bumper lower and center sections with body-color end caps, a body-color grille with chrome insert, unique Z71 decals, bright door sill plates, chrome recovery hooks, body-color outside mirrors and door handles and fog lamps. 18" aluminum wheels and 18" tires and front and rear Rancho shocks raise the Z71 performance level even higher.

Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 09-14-2013 at 09:20 AM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Thanks for the answers! My family has wondered about this

99 Heart Beat
    Thanks for the information. It really helps when you provide the codes. That way we can compare to our individual trucks and not guess.

2011 1500 Silverado LT, 4x4/Z71
    K&N, Chrome Nerfs, Run Lucas Oil fuel treatment,
    DB-CORSA cat-back system (received). :great:

Quote Originally Posted by audible View Post
    99 Heart BeatThanks for the information. It really helps when you provide the codes. That way we can compare to our individual trucks and not guess.
    I agree that that is good information. However, I do think that gm should mention I there that the rancho shocks only come on the z71 appearance package (separate from the z71 suspension package even though the shocks are a suspension part). If they pu all of this info in one area of information, I think it would avoid confusion for people

Quote Originally Posted by pmf608 View Post
    I agree that that is good information. However, I do think that gm should mention I there that the rancho shocks only come on the z71 appearance package (separate from the z71 suspension package even though the shocks are a suspension part). If they pu all of this info in one area of information, I think it would avoid confusion for people
    Got another question about this. My truck does have the Z71 upgraded appearance package and has the Rancho shocks. I got under to see what model of shocks they are but I didn't see a name or number.

Anybody got an idea what Rancho model shock they are using from the factory on the 2012 Crew LT Z71 Rancho? I'm wanting to lift my truck and might get the Rancho MyRide kit.
    2012 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3
    Rough Country 2.5' Lift/Level
    Chevy 18's on Toyo Open Country MT 33's
    DiabloSport Trinity Tuner with Custom Tune from Lew
    Debating on AMP Research Powersteps

2008 GMC Sierra WT 4x2 4.3

3" Rough Country Suspension Lift w/Control Arms
    Super 44 Flowmaster Straight Dual Exhaust from the Cat Back with 18" Chrome 3.5" Exhaust Tips.
    Moto Wheels 951 18" on Nitto Mud Grappler 33's
    Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 System with Kenwood 5.1 amp using Stock Headunit.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

The newer GM Z71's come with a Cheap Rancho shocks, Not the Bil's that they had before. one more case of GM going CHEAP again.... :( I just got my new Bilstein's and will be putting them on soon. As the Bilstein reps will tell you. After 100K miles if there shock is not leaking it's still good And when I had my 02 Avalanche I changed my Bil's for new ones and they were both the same in damping.. So the old ones were still good..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X