GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Hybrid View

Default Z71 Shocks Upgrade

I have been trying to find information on the Z71 shocks in the NBS trucks. The Z71 package says the shocks are upgraded to 46mm shocks, but what shocks come on the non-Z71 trucks? Are the shocks in the Z71 decent quality?

My mom also has a NBS Silverado, but its not Z71. I can tell a big difference in the shocks, the ride in her truck is bouncy, it does not soak up bumps like mine.
    2011 Silverado, ext cab, LT, Z71, 4X4, leather interior, color matched mirror caps & bowtie.

I second this question.

2011 1500 Silverado LT, 4x4/Z71
    K&N, Chrome Nerfs, Run Lucas Oil fuel treatment,
    DB-CORSA cat-back system (received). :great:

I'm not sure if this is still the case on the 2011's, but the Z71 package has historically used Bilstein schocks. If you look at them, they are usually blue and/or yellow. Overall, the Bilsteins seem to have a very good reputation and in my opinion are generally a very good shock. I'm not sure what the standard shocks are... probably just GM/AC Delco shocks.

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE

Default Z71 Shocks

My 2011 Silverado Z71 Ext 4X4 5.3 came with 18" Wheels and Rancho Shocks. I pull a 6,500 lb. camper and the ride, handling are great. I also had the truck on the beach when surfishing and the Z71 suspension did well.
    I'm very pleased with my new Chevy.

Dave

Was your 2011 truck new from dealer, or new/used? I ask because my 2011 Z71 shocks are black or blue. I'll have to crawl under there and see if there is a name on them.

Quote Originally Posted by 747 View Post
    I have been trying to find information on the Z71 shocks in the NBS trucks. The Z71 package says the shocks are upgraded to 46mm shocks, but what shocks come on the non-Z71 trucks? Are the shocks in the Z71 decent quality?

My mom also has a NBS Silverado, but its not Z71. I can tell a big difference in the shocks, the ride in her truck is bouncy, it does not soak up bumps like mine.

My 2011 Silverado Z71 was new from dealer July04,2011. Shocks are white and red in color, Rancho on them. I also still have the window sticker that say's truck has ALL STAR EDITION, that includes a whole bunch of stuff, plus the extra Z71 appearance package that say's 18" Wheels, Off road tires,RANCHO Shocks,Z71 Instrument Panel, Chrome Tow Hooks,Trailer Brake Controller, still a lot more other things. I don't know what the factory used on my 2002 Silverado without the Z71,but factory shocks,brakes were junk.
    The over all Quality on everything, the ride on and off road, fit and finish,brakes,performance and even the gas mileage to me it is just great. I have had many cars and trucks over the years, but nothing this good.
    Dave

Okay, just looked under the truck and the rear shocks do look large, but no name on the and they are a blue/grey in color. I have my build sheet printout from service and under the listed option codes it says: Z71- Off Road Suspension Package-Skid Plate-High capacity air cleaner. On the same line.

So, I'm confused! Does Z71 just mean bigger shocks and the Rancho or Bilsteen shocks are an additional option or package? Or did they foget to add it to mine?

Do any of you know for certain?

**Also noticed coolant leak while I was under there.............

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by audible View Post
    Okay, just looked under the truck and the rear shocks do look large, but no name on the and they are a blue/grey in color. I have my build sheet printout from service and under the listed option codes it says: Z71- Off Road Suspension Package-Skid Plate-High capacity air cleaner. On the same line.

So, I'm confused! Does Z71 just mean bigger shocks and the Rancho or Bilsteen shocks are an additional option or package? Or did they foget to add it to mine?

Thanks
    I just did a bit more research on this and it looks like gm doesn't really have one specific shock supplier anymore. Since 1999, it looks like they have been using shocks made by Tenneco (owned by Monroe). The rancho shocks apparently only come with the Z71 appearance package - the Z71 without the appearance package has Tenneco shocks (gas instead of hydraulic). It seems that the Z71 SUVs such as my avalanche have stuck with Bilstein shocks though
    Last edited by pmf608; 12-10-2011 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by audible View Post

Thanks
    My shocks are blackish color, they look just like the ones on the non-Z71 trucks. So we have the same shocks. The Rancho shocks (white and red) are an upgrade from the standard Z71 shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by 747 View Post
    My shocks are blackish color, they look just like the ones on the non-Z71 trucks. So we have the same shocks. The Rancho shocks (white and red) are an upgrade from the standard Z71 shocks.
    Right. That's what I narrowed it down to. The Z71 comes with Gas shocks (black) that look the same as the standard shocks. The standard shocks are oil-filled. The Z71 Appearance Package (chrome tow hooks, Z71 gauge faces, special grille, etc.) gets the upgraded rancho shocks.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by