GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Lifting my truck

I want to get these for my truck http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DYS-KG09101BK/
    It says I need longer shocks for them to work. What are good ones that are under $50 dollars apiece?
    2005 Chevrolet Silverado

Sr. Mechanic

Check out 4wheel parts, you should be able to get a couple of Procomps or Bilstiens for pretty close to that

91 Suburban

D44/14BFF w/Disc conv - Yukon 4:88's - Yukon Grizzly Lockers F/R -13" lift - DIY4x Shackle Flip - 37 ATZ on 18 MT Classics - Doug Thorley headers - Magnaflow - Holley Pro Jection Intake - Ultimate TBI mods - Hydroboost Brake Conversion - Hysteer-X Over Conversion.

(Coming up - Fuel Injected 383 Stroker - Divorced NP205 - D60 - 40" tires)

On this page http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits...9101BK#active1 it doesn't say anything about needing new shocks. So do I need new ones or not?

I would say that longer shocks wont hurt but I would trust 4wheel parts before I would trust summit. I have had many dealings with 4wheel parts and they are very helpful. I would suggest calling and asking to speak with a mechanic. They will be able to tell you for sure. You could also just order the spacers and put them on. Your current shocks at most would limit the max travel which would not be a problem unless you are fully drooping the tire. If that is the case then you could order the shocks at a later date.
    2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab
    8in ProComp Suspension Lift, 4in Shackle Flip Kit, 3in Performance Products Body Lift, 17x9 Moto Metal wheels, 35x12.50x17 ProComp Xterrains, K&N cold air intake kit, Custom 3in exhaust, GoRhrino Black spring loaded steps, Truxedo Bed Cover, "SS" style Instrument Cluster with blue pointers and Trans Temp Gauge, JVC indash touchscreen DVD player, 2 MTX 10in subwoofers, Sony Xplode 1000watt amp, Radio Shack CB with dual black whips, Optima yellow top battery

As a general rule any time you lift over 2" you need to replace the shocks.
    With the lift they get over extended when on the long end of the travel.
    When lowering the same rule applies because they start to bottom out.
    4WPW has some decent shocks at good prices, I've got a set on one of my trucks that I've been beating for 7 years and only had 1 failure that they covered no questions asked even though the shock had a dent in the side of the tube.

So are you guys saying that it is okay to get the spacers without getting the shocks?

No were saying get new shocks, better off safe than sorry.
    Ever tried to drive a truck with a blown shock or two (or more)? It can be a dangerous handful.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    No were saying get new shocks, better off safe than sorry.
    Ever tried to drive a truck with a blown shock or two (or more)? It can be a dangerous handful.
    Ok, what are good ones that are under $50 dollars apiece? I am totally in the dark about this stuff. Thanks for the help.

Sr. Mechanic

look at the Pro Comps Es3000. Decent shock at a good price, Daystar also makes a shock for about 40 each. If your not offroading then either would work. I think i saw Rancho 5000 for under 50 also.

4 Wheel Parts is offering Rancho 5000's for right at $50.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by