GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: computer died!

Default computer died!

Looks like my work/website development computer died. It was an old Dell workhorse so it just gave up the ghost.

Anyone have any good recommendations for a new laptop? Anyone have one lying around?

I'm on a junker emachines laptop now wth a broken keyboard and all of the usb ports are broken so I can't dock it and use it just for the cpu. :-(

If you need me, it might be a little bit of a delay this week in me responding to you,.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Sorry about the computer Steve... Check out EBAY... for cheap ones...

2008 GMC ENVOY SLT
    GT RACERS Black Diamond Grille
    | PIAA Headlights| BEAMERS Pro HID Kit 6,000K Diamond White |
    3" LiftMeister Body Lift Kit
    |Skyjacker Suspension| MagnaFlow Exhaust w/tip |Hella Supertone Horns| Blacked out Body

"Silly Boys! Lifted Trucks are for Girls"
    "If you can't beat 'em, then your going to slow" :sign0081:

Sorry to hear about the PC.. my current PC I bought right before I deployed is a 14" Toshiba Satellite with Bluray, 4gb DDR3, and a I5 Processor, before this one I had been on HP's for almost 10 years. I have mine dual booting between the factory installed Windows 7 and Ubuntu Linux. So far I can honestly say I am pleased with it and other than some excessive bloatware that came pre-installed it is great. Best thing about it was I got it for around $650 (plus taxes...)not a bad grab for all the features.
    I still like HP laptops, just couldn't get the specs I wanted for anywhere close to the price that I got with this one. I haven't been too impressed with Acer, but form what I hear their newer model have improved greatly over their older version, and you can pic up a relatively well equipped one for a decent price too.
    Depending on just how crazy you want to get with your laptop you can get some basic, but still quality ones around $400 not too bad. The Sony Vaio are nice but in my opinion overpriced.
    Dell and Gateway can be okay as well but with them unless you build to order there's no real guarantee that you are getting all quality components..

Btw if your wondering about dual booting linux...I do almost all my internetting with Linux..almost no chance of catching virus (just like Apple products) and when I need a Windows program (movie ripping/converting) I just reboot and select Windows.. plus my files are available to both operating systems.. anyways Just my .02

2007 Silverado 1500 LT Ext Cab 4.8l, 2007 Suzuki XL-7, 2012 H-D Sportster "Seventy-Two"

I have a Dell setting in the closet that I havent used in a few years, it has issues, not sure what, not even sure what model it is.
    I also have an HP with a bad charger connection I need to get fixed, I bet we could do some horse swappin and work something out.
    P.M. me if your interested.

I unfortunately don't have a spare PC lying around, I am of like mind with MoBillyAla about Toshiba Satellite. Another brand I'd recommend is Asus. They have very solid machines that you can pick up from $600 and up (recommend $800-$1,000 for a really good one, though). They do come with lots of bloatware, but it's easilly deleted. Good luck finding a replacement, and I'll keep my eyes out should something come my way!

2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Extended Cab Z71 4X4 5.3L Flex Fuel
    MagnaFlow single in duel out system
    Volant CAI & Ram Air Scoop with Power Core Filter
    Rhino Tuff Grip Spray in Bed liner
    Undercover Classic Tonneau
    Trail FX Bug "deflector"
    AVS Window Deflectors
    Black Powder Coated Nerf Bars
    RECON L.E.D. Interior, 3rd Cab light, Projector headlights, and Taillights
    ATX Crawl Wheels wrapped in BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain tires
    CalTrend Neoprene seat covers
    2" leveling kit from Max Trac
    Diablo Trinity with Diablew Tune

Turns out it was one of the memory modules that went out. I was maxed out with 2GB x 2, but I did some reading and it looks like with any 64-bit operating system I can upgrade to 8GB and that should help performance. I had an old 1GB module lying around so I just put that in and I read that I can just download the Vista 64 bit version and install that and use the same license.

It's gonna take some time, but should be worth it. I was hoping to make this computer last for at least another few months. It's a DELL and had all the options on it, it's getting old but should give me another year if I want.

Sr. Engineer

I have the same dell.. mine would not connect . froze up.. Can spend about a hundred bucks take it to a pc doc.. had two memory cards installed and windows reinstalled works like a new one. Just a thought.

Turns out to move from Vista 32 to 64 (or any 64-bit system) requires a fresh install. I might just go ahead and get a bigger hard drive, like a decent 320GB or something and do a fresh install of Windows 7 64-bit and then move all of my software over ... no matter what I'll have to do that so either I just stick with a 4GB DDR2 system for now ....

just in typing all of this out I'm convinced that I don't want to do all that work. I'll just stick with the Dell at 4GB and worry about upgrading later next year.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Good luck with that! My 4 year old Dell XPS crashed - processor I think. I went with a Mac Mini. Used my existing peripherals and it was pretty in expensive. So far the Mac browser crashed once, never the computer it self. Compare that to windows where crashes are normal operating procedure. LOL
    86 911 Porsche Carrera
    98 K1500 Suburban LT
    2012 Nissan Leaf

​General Motors.
    Because life is too short to drive a Ford

My d620 dell latitude. Gave up the ghost and to replace the hard drivers as much as a new upgraded laptop.
    I have been watching for a decent laptop that will work with my root beer budget. Consulting a relative who is more savvy than I. But I like the Mac if only I had a beer budget. Fujitsu looks pretty strong so far.
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"