GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Roll Bar/ Light Bar on 2004 Silverado.

I feel that this is somewhat of a lost cause, but I have to ask... I would love to add some type of roll bar or light bar onto the bed of my '04 Silverado, but the problem is that I have a roll-up tonneau cover that I'm not willing to part with. It only goes to the inside of the bed rails, so the rails and stake pockets are still exposed. So I'm really looking for a chrome tube roll bar (that matches the OEM Chevy Step rail tubes) that mounts onto the bed rails. It's truly just for looks, but maybe I'd add some lights onto it down the road. I've done a bit of searching for them but have come up empty. Any suggestions??

Legend

Blog Entries

Is this strickly for the lights? If so have you considered a roof-mount type of bar?
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

I know there are some accessory items that mount that way but I don't believe they make a bar like that. You can get the cover modified with velcro holes to fit around the bar. A auto upolstery shop shou be able to do it. Just an idea. Good Luck!
    The diference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits.

2007 NBS Silverado
    LT2 Z71
    2.5" Levelling Kit
    Hood Stripes
    Chrome Grill
    GM Bed Liner & Tonno
    Dick Cepek Rims 18X9
    Hankook RF10 Tires 275/65/18
    De-Badged Tailgate

More Mods Coming

The purpose is more for the looks than the lights.

Thought about cutting holes for a true roll bar, but also don't particularly want to sacrifice all the bed space either. Really am looking for something to mount on the rails.

I know, I know... beggars can't be choosers. But I will be picky!

Steve - Maryland
    2004 Chevy Silverado 5.3 L V-8 4x4
    Access Roll-up Cover, Line-X bedliner, Billet grille & fog light covers,
    Tinted windows, Firestone Destination A/T tires, under-dash lights,
    USA Spec iPod interface, DU-HA under-seat storage, wish I could do more...

Have you talked to a muffler shop? You can talk to them and see if they'd be willing to bend some steel tubing to make a custom light bar. Then all you'd have to figure out is a way to attach it to the bed rails. I'm sure you can imagine some way to fasten it. Then later you can drill or whatever you need to attach lighting. If you have questions PM me and I'll see if I can figure something out.

-Greg

The fool learns not from the wise man, but the wise man from the fool.

2004 Silverado 4x4 (Suzie)
    6" Fabtech Suspension Lift
    35" NITTO Terra Grapplers
    18" MB Wheels Predators
    Thrush Turbo Series Mufflers
    on true dual exhaust
    Grille by Option Racing

1952 3600
    Finally getting torn down to the frame.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Well I can tell you from experience you are going to destroy your bed with a full bolt on roll bar, I have one in my S-10 and it requires drilling 16-1" holes in the wheel wells and the bed floor. 9 years later and my fender whells are pretty much eaten away on the underside of the truck, Is It worth it??? To me it was but that's just me! Here's a pic of that one from the back, it's a Smittybuilt light bar hooked to a Westin roll bar. They no longer make that light bar, and the main rolbar is now made by Go Rhino.

On my last Silverado I didn't want to destroy the bed, so I bought a Go Rhino Thunder/Lightning bar one is black and one is stainless hence the different names. I got the stainless steel bar for durability, It uses your stake pockets to mount on the bed rail which WILL allow for your tonneau cover. On mine I had a diamondback tonneau cover, so I just bolted the roll bar to the top of my tonneau cover. This bar is by far my favorite because it does absolutely nothing to your bed, and it had a place to mount four of my PIAA lights up there. Here are a couple of pictures for you.

Manik used to make a stainless steel tubular bar that mounted on the bed rails, but they discontinued it in 2006. I almost bought one at Stylin Concepts but the tubing was only 1 1/2" and it looked tiny on the Silverado. Hope this helps out some, as far as I know the Go Rhino thunder/lightning bar is the only one on the market that mountes without drilling on top of the bed rails and allows for a tonneau cover.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Sr. Engineer

I had one on my '04 along with a roll up cover. The only goofy thing was rolling up the cover, where the cross tubes come down you had to pull the cover up and angle the rolled up cover a little bit to get it past the tubes. I also had to add a little extra foam tape where the light bar brackets came into the bed to get a water tight seal.

I can't find any decent pictures where you can really see the tonneau cover with the light bar.. You can barely see the cover sticking up in this picture. The light bar is a stainless steel one made by Go Industries. I have a black one on my current truck, but no tonneau cover yet.

Thanks for all the great ideas!! Greg84, that's a kickin' truck. Same for you, TRPLXL2. That's the look I'm trying to go for.

I think I saw the Manik bars in an old catalog somewhere, and that's what game me this inspiration. Then I could never find it again. I'm thinking that either the custom route or the Go Rhino Thunder/Lightening bar is what I'm leaning towards. My truck needs something to balance out the look on the bed other than the stupid little stake pocket hooks I have now that can't hold anything. I'm just hoping the tubes don't ruin the look.

another threaded needs to be brought back to life. how many people have light bars on their truck?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Thought I would try and bring this back, I still have this lightbar, but I don't presently have it installed, Just got a in-bed tool box, but would love to figure out how to have another or rig this bar back into the truck...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8022.jpg 
Views:	1459 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	33492Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0074.jpg 
Views:	1422 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	33493
    4.8L Vortec | 6inch Lift | 35'' BFG ALL TERRAINS | K&N Intake | AirRaid Throttle Body Space | 3inch straight pipe dumped at rear axle | BlackBear Tuned | 2 13in JL Audio Subs | 1000watt HD amp, 2.9 cap | Kenwood Dble Din | Gibson Hi Flo Cats | HIDs Hi/Los 55watt 8000k |4.56 gears |