GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Tahoe wont start!

my 1996 Tahoe wont start when i turn the key i hear a clicking noise as i do turn the key and i see a small drain from the voltmeter. this has happened once before and that time i put it in neutral and it started right up i tryed to do the same again but no luck. the truck also has been hard starting for the past month instead of its normal instant start up and rev. any one have any idea on what might be wrong

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Welcome to the club. How old is the battery and will it jump start?
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

the battery is brand new and last time we had the problem it didnt i seem that theres power going to the starter but it might not be engaging cuz all the other lights are on well trying to start but slightly dim

Sr. Engineer

Sounds like solenoid on the starter. Some of the wires will not have power at starter .. the main from battery will but others no till starting.
    On the long crank time.. check fuel filter first . then do a pressure check on fuel .
    Will have a scharder valve on fuel line to check at .. should get at least 58 psi and hold this .Some auto parts has loner gauges. But only cost 20 some bucks .
    Check just turning key to on.

thanks ill try that ill post how it goes

ok so it seems that it was the battery when i bought the truck the owner of it put in a new battery turns out that battery isnt rated for the truck in cold weather and doesnt have the capacity for the truck so after charging battery it started up and i went out and got a new battery rated for the truck and then some