GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Light cruise thumping

I have a 2004 Chevy 2500HD with 55,000 miles, I have recently started experiencing a thumping when driving in a light cruise, usually over 40 mph. The noise/vibration goes away during braking and additional acceleration. Turning the wheel does not affect the condition either. Has anyone experienced similar noise/vibration?

sounds like loose lug nuts to me, braking and accel can pin the wheels tight to the rotor/ lug nuts were cruise can let it come free, id check them ASAP.

as it dosnt change with wheel turn it sounds like one of the rear wheels.

other then loose lug nuts im not sure, id have to hear it.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Maybe you have tire balancing issue if the lugs check out ok.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Thank you for the replies. Tires are basically new...less than 12,000 miles, and were balanced. All lugs are secured. I have had 2 mechanics drive it and they could feel the vibration and noise. We had all the wheels off, looked around, checked the joints, shafts, front suspension and brakes, everything checks out good. One suggestion was a motor mount, or maybe in the drive train when it hits just the right harmonics. We are at a loss.

Sr. Engineer

When i seen the name of the thread thought was talking about my boy cruising around lol.
    I have heard a lot of complaints on this matter . When they took it to dealer said it was catalyst/cat.
    No. One friend traded his off .. no satisfaction. I would check flywheel torque converter ect.